Author Topic: snows at the shack  (Read 1703 times)

Offline snopork

snows at the shack
« on: November 17, 2019, 09:12:04 AM »
hopefully no big warm ups - be a nice start to the global warming season

Offline 6Mile

• Waconia, MN
Re: snows at the shack
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 11:51:01 AM »
Things are looking good up there, Wonder how the ice formation is going?
Work harder, millions on welfare depend on you...

Sleds:
2013 Polaris Switchback Assault 144 800
2007 Polaris Switchback 600 Wife's sled
1997 Arctic Cat Puma DLX 340 has more time on it last  season than the above sleds.

MNUSA

Offline RevManII

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 11:46:52 AM »
I got a foot or so last week. A couple more inches a few days later, but it's raining and melting now. I still have my '09 XP. Did several laps around the yard after clearing that first dump from the driveway. Too early for trails to be open here based on the hunting districts, but the local club seems to be out doing some grooming  :shrug: .

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 10:10:03 AM »
Andy, Iron opened last Wednesday the 4th. Did you make it up?
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline snopork

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 08:57:23 PM »
Andy, Iron opened last Wednesday the 4th. Did you make it up?
no  but going up early this friday.  Your welcome to come up and break in your new iron.  My sister was up last weekend and they drove the lake the whole time - said deer were walking across so a sled would do it too

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 03:17:06 PM »
Thanks, one of these days! Heading to my riding area Arbor Vitae the 19th,  Vilas opens Friday the 20th
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline snopork

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 09:58:50 PM »
just got back.  fantastic.  was like February riding    2.5 to 3 ft of snow

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 09:28:33 AM »
I had a short, but great trip as well.

Left my house at 6am on Friday. Johnyvaxdoopoo ended up breaking a part off his sled the night before while cleaning his engine compartment. Broke off some weird electrical part near his battery. So while driving 6 - 1/2 hours, I was running my I phone, looking up all dealerships along the way. Finally found one that had the missing part, but it was around 1/2 hr off our route. Decided to go ahead and just get it and get it fixed up. Ended up at my cabin around 2pm as a result. So much snow that we couldn't get into the driveway with the truck, so I had to plow out the drive with my backhoe. Had around 16" - 18" of overall snow. But, up near the road it was more like 24"-30" b/c of the plow truck.

By the time we, cleared out the driveway..... Installed the batteries in (3) sleds, installed (3) new belts, adjusted the belt heights, etc..... we ended up getting out of there at around 6pm for a night ride. Just did a real small loop and had a beverage at a local watering hole. Put around 50 miles on Friday night. Trails were all kick ass !  :punk:

Saturday morning we decided to do a big loop totaling around 260 miles on the day. Had incredible trails most of the time ! Just the Watersmet area was real bumpy. Tons of snow, just constant chatter for around 8-10 miles. Couple spots we had areas with wet streams running across the trails, etc. But, for the most part - really killer conditions for early December riding !

Met two groups of riders - but equally strange....
First group running brand new Ski Doo 850's. Three guys. Not a clue between all three of them. Asking us for directions. They were running straight East, asking where Bruce Crossing was - so I told them, the total opposite direction as you're headed. He goes, "that way North" ? I said "NO" - that way is SOUTH. Just couldn't seem to understand he was opposite what he thought. So I felt I was super clear - giving him accurate directions to his destination. About an hour later, we take a break and boom - there he is again. I'm like, dude, you went the wrong way again. He goes, well you seemed like you really knew the area, so we figured we'd follow you......  :mf_gap: OMG - crazy SOB.

Second group was pretty cool. Young guy and slightly older guy (my age). They were sitting at a trail crossing taking a break. So, I figured, I could use a break too. Guys come over and offer us beer. At first, I was like Hell Yeah ! Then, I decided we're rolling pretty fast and in some real twisty stuff. That and the fact I had my 18 year old with me, so I didn't want him to think I was doing that all the time. So I said, no thanks..... So, then the dude is like, well - if you don't want beer, most likely you don't want to smoke weed with us either..... ? I'm like, no that's ok. We're good.   :blush::blush:

Just an odd feeling is all.....
Pretty nice guys overall, just a weird experience, I guess.

Real great ride. I think one of the best condition, early season rides, I've ever had.....  :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Offline snopork

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 09:35:39 PM »
Good thing my new neighbor feels obliged to be the caretaker while we are not there.  Here is what we arrived to

Offline snopork

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 09:37:48 PM »
the first pic is March 2, 2019 - the second is Friday the 13th December, 2019.   uncanny similarities
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 09:39:47 PM by snopork »

Offline snopork

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 09:38:56 PM »
12/13/19

Offline snopork

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 09:51:19 PM »
Andrew and I went out Friday night for dinner and A ride.  A few of the trails were open but unrolled or groomed due to water and creeks.  I wish I would not have left my phone in the cabin.  We took one trail that no one had tried for more than 100 yrds.   The snow was a bonifide 3 feet deep plus some.   We had the 850 gade and the 800 gade and it was dark.  4 creek crossing with 3 ft+ walls and several trees across the trail we emerged onto Trail 19 and 3 miles from the cabin.  It was snowing like a mother-effer the whole time and I kept having to open my visor to see.  3 plus foot of fresh soft snow at 5 degrees seems to like to shoot up the windshield.  I was hopin to not get frostbit in my eyelids - kept having to peel snow outta my face.  Left my Breath deflector in the truck - wont be forgettin that anytime soon again - fits nicely in the new glovebox.

BTW- we think the 800 may be a tad quicker than the 850.  But then again I havent messed with the 850's clutching and its still needing to break in.  It is about 30 lbs heavier tho.  According to Andrew and Jake the 800 is the "beast"

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2019, 03:40:10 PM »
Andrew and I went out Friday night for dinner and A ride.  A few of the trails were open but unrolled or groomed due to water and creeks.  I wish I would not have left my phone in the cabin.  We took one trail that no one had tried for more than 100 yrds.   The snow was a bonifide 3 feet deep plus some.   We had the 850 gade and the 800 gade and it was dark.  4 creek crossing with 3 ft+ walls and several trees across the trail we emerged onto Trail 19 and 3 miles from the cabin.  It was snowing like a mother-effer the whole time and I kept having to open my visor to see.  3 plus foot of fresh soft snow at 5 degrees seems to like to shoot up the windshield.  I was hopin to not get frostbit in my eyelids - kept having to peel snow outta my face.  Left my Breath deflector in the truck - wont be forgettin that anytime soon again - fits nicely in the new glovebox.

BTW- we think the 800 may be a tad quicker than the 850.  But then again I havent messed with the 850's clutching and its still needing to break in.  It is about 30 lbs heavier tho.  According to Andrew and Jake the 800 is the "beast"

We did some scary ass off trail riding at night - Saturday night. Really stupid of me to do what I did, but once I committed to it, it was hard to justify turning around.
We were running in 36" of fresh powder, in an area - I thought I knew..... Been through there 30 times, but this particular time, someone had started some serious utility work / construction. Saw three sets of "berms" around five or six feet tall. Ended up launching over each of them, only to learn (after the first jump) that someone had dug a utility trench and the spoils were along side the ditch. Lucky for us, the spoils were high enough to clear the ditch on the other side and we cleared the 10-12 foot trench cut into the earth. Really stupid to do it once, let alone we did it all three times hoping to God it would work out and it did.....  :wacko:

After making that horrible decision, the next thing I wished was, damn I wish someone had video taped it, because it must have looked awesome landing in all the fresh powder like that....  :blush: