Author Topic: Checking in  (Read 8262 times)

Offline Hal

Re: Checking in
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2019, 12:38:16 PM »
Ya still invited up for a day trip Hal.   ;)
Cant remember exactly where about you hang your hat but Forest Lake is 2 1/2 hours from downtown Poplar (nearest zip code  ;) )
40 inches of snow in the last two weeks and a little more on the way overnight.  Only need 40 inches to reach our annual avg.
Man are the snowhaters bitch'n !
I may take you up on that offer this year. Last year my trailer was so buried in snow that I couldn't use it. This year I got rid of the trailer on bought a ramp. It was spendy but I won't have to dig it out and keep most of the salt and dirt off my sled.
Hal

Offline Keweenaw

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2019, 10:54:45 AM »
Regardless of reason, It's always a little sad to me when I read or hear someone has quit sledding.

I could still ride but don't trust that I could control myself and not end up in the middle of nowhere with a dislocation.   

Look me up if you are up this way, I still drink beer...I'm sure some of you still have my number.
Recreation or fun is the expenditure of time in a manner designed for therapeutic refreshment of one's body or mind.

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2019, 03:05:36 PM »
Regardless of reason, It's always a little sad to me when I read or hear someone has quit sledding.

We are all getting older. I will be turning 73 this month and losing arm strength. Had to buy a sled lift so I can still get the rear dolly on and off my sled. All my riding friends are either dead or have quit sledding.
Belive me I know Hal. The friends  I know that have quit, passed on, number in the dozens. It's just sad to me from the aspect of exactly what you said, all getting older, not having the friends to enjoy it with any longer, and the sport has definitely  not been taken up by todays younger generations. It's just too expensive for the money invested vs what your dollar can buy in other recreation motorsports based on yearly use. Just for me nothing else, has fueled my passion like snowmobiling, except when my dollybabe of 43 years says............................. :devilsmiley: :banana: :jump: :thumbsupsmileyanim:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 03:14:11 PM by racerdave »
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline Hal

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2019, 06:09:37 PM »

We are all getting older. I will be turning 73 this month and losing arm strength. Had to buy a sled lift so I can still get the rear dolly on and off my sled. All my riding friends are either dead or have quit sledding.
Belive me I know Hal. The friends  I know that have quit, passed on, number in the dozens. It's just sad to me from the aspect of exactly what you said, all getting older, not having the friends to enjoy it with any longer, and the sport has definitely  not been taken up by todays younger generations. It's just too expensive for the money invested vs what your dollar can buy in other recreation motorsports based on yearly use. Just for me nothing else, has fueled my passion like snowmobiling, except when my dollybabe of 43 years says............................. :devilsmiley: :banana: :jump: :thumbsupsmileyanim:
The way I see it, when we are young we should be saving our money for retirement. However when we retire we don't have the energy or friends to enjoy sledding. It is like the guy who said he couldn't afford to buy peanuts, but when he was old enough to afford them he didn't have teeth to chew them.
Hal

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2019, 06:41:21 PM »

The way I see it, when we are young we should be saving our money for retirement. However when we retire we don't have the energy or friends to enjoy sledding. It is like the guy who said he couldn't afford to buy peanuts, but when he was old enough to afford them he didn't have teeth to chew them.

100% true... Although we did our time on the sleds for a few decades and have since moved on to motorcycles which are much easier on the body. Last spring we rode 1600 miles in 9 days with no regrets. 
I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline 6Mile

• Waconia, MN
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2019, 04:13:30 PM »

I could still ride but don't trust that I could control myself and not end up in the middle of nowhere with a dislocation.   

Look me up if you are up this way, I still drink beer...I'm sure some of you still have my number.

Keweenaw, Good to see you post again.  it may not be all that long and we all will be on here talking about how we used to ride and how great it was.
Work harder, millions on welfare depend on you...

Sleds:
2013 Polaris Switchback Assault 144 800
2007 Polaris Switchback 600 Wife's sled
1997 Arctic Cat Puma DLX 340 has more time on it last  season than the above sleds.

MNUSA

Offline RevManII

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2019, 12:33:52 PM »
I'm still floating around and checking in once in a while. My '09 XP is still running good. I've done some laps around the yard. Waiting for a little more snow and the local trails to open.

Offline roady

• Donating Members
    • http://
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2020, 05:47:27 PM »
I'm just hanging around waiting for AJ to post.....heck maybe roadie will accidentally make a post.  I've been riding with a few retired air controller types the last couple years, my brother and my 2 youngest boys - mini-me and goodwrench.  They'll be 18 and 19 this season

You can find Roady in Facebook Jail most of the time.... Some things never change.

My ears were ringing
Hey, How ya doing?  I'm kind of retired now - work 3-4 days a week for a local Ford dealer.  Keeps me from drinking too much and spending my annuity out  of boredom
I’m on about the same route. Built a house up north working a few days a week.
Now if it would just snow.

he struts up, grabs his cig’s, steps behind the groups table, puts cig to mouth, fires it up and takes a drag….he then pulls the cig from his mouth standing there and calmly and inquisitively asked, “What smells like BUTTSALSA?

Offline snopork

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2020, 10:56:30 PM »
Cool,  Tom and I were talking about planning a trip one of these seasons.  we keep thinking out west, or up in the lake of the woods or hitting up Karpik and taking him up on an invite.   this is hard to get away from tho  Friday Dec 13th 2019

Offline 2qik

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2020, 12:14:43 PM »
Cool,  Tom and I were talking about planning a trip one of these seasons.  we keep thinking out west, or up in the lake of the woods or hitting up Karpik and taking him up on an invite.   this is hard to get away from tho  Friday Dec 13th 2019

Snow is good in MN, WI, & MI this year with the exception rain late December.  I was riding the Hurley - Mercer trails Dec. 28 when it started raining around 2:00 Saturday afternoon.  We were soaked when we got back to the trucks and decided not to drive home in the rain fearing it would freeze so we stayed the night and went back Sunday. Agreed about trailering when the local trails are minty but hadn't been out your way to ride in over 10 years so decided it was time.
Just a typical snowmobiler...

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2020, 03:36:00 PM »
2qik, Son, myself, one other rode that same Saturday afternoon rain in St Germain area.  :banghead:
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline 2qik

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2020, 11:23:05 AM »
2qik, Son, myself, one other rode that same Saturday afternoon rain in St Germain area.  :banghead:

We rode most of the day Friday, Saturday, and drove home Sunday.  I didn't see one other Polaris wedge hood the entire time, or any 90's era machine.  Had many compliments on the sled seemed people wanted to talk everywhere we went. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 11:25:24 AM by 2qik »

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2020, 02:57:18 PM »
Is the SKS yours?
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline 2qik

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2020, 10:06:40 AM »
Is the SKS yours?

The blue 1997 RMK 700 is mine.

Offline Keweenaw

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2020, 09:24:08 PM »

Keweenaw, Good to see you post again.  it may not be all that long and we all will be on here talking about how we used to ride and how great it was.

Still think about it as sleds are zipping past work daily.   Drove up the to stop sign by Gino's in Hancock the other day and let 3 or 4 sleds cross in front of me and then pulled into the exhaust cloud to take it in.   Ah the memories.

Lost a good friend last winter on a sled, and that was pretty much the kicker for me and thoughts of maybe getting back and just trail riding.   He was hit by a car on the last road crossing before coming into Hancock from the North.   Instantly killed.   He was the slowest most conservative rider I have ever seen.  Sad.
Recreation or fun is the expenditure of time in a manner designed for therapeutic refreshment of one's body or mind.