Author Topic: DD Drive shaft removal?  (Read 6534 times)

Offline 6Mile

• Waconia, MN
DD Drive shaft removal?
« on: February 19, 2009, 01:52:13 PM »
I am doing a track swap and have run into an issue. This is on a 2007 CF 800.

I have removed the DD case from the sled and have actually removed the track. The issue that I have is that the drive shaft seems to be seized into the bearing in the brake caliper housing. I have removed the rotor retaining nut with the specal socket that I got from BDE. The brake rotor seems to be loose enough on the shaft to slied in an out a little bit but it contacts the caliper. No problem there. I removed the nuts that hold the brake caliper housing to the chassis and can pull whole unit out till the driver contacts the side of the tunnel on the inside.

Like I said before it appears that the drive shaft is seized into the inner bearing race inside the the caliper housing. I could split the caliper and probably get the rotor off, but I am not sure if that will really get me anywhere, other than having to re-bleed the brakes again when i put it all together again. I am assuming that the drive shaft normally just slides into the bearning and does not have a retaining clip.

Has anyone run into a situation like this and have an easy way to get the drive shaft out of this bearing without destroying parts?

I am open to suggestions.

Thanks.
Work harder, millions on welfare depend on you...

Sleds:
2013 Polaris Switchback Assault 144 800
2007 Polaris Switchback 600 Wife's sled
1997 Arctic Cat Puma DLX 340 has more time on it last  season than the above sleds.

MNUSA

Offline AdrenalineJunkie

• Trump Train is rollin coal.
Re: DD Drive shaft removal?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 02:11:16 PM »
SAWZALL.    Oh did you say without damage?   :no2:

I have ssen many a siezed collar reminant from a wasted bearing.  I use heat, then a punch.  Always works for me.  You can clean the splines later with a triangular file.
"Sometimes we choose to make our own cross to carry, sometimes we are given it"

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 03:08:04 PM »
My .02 cents. .... Put it back together as is and deal with it in the spring....

Far as I can tell, we're down to 3-4 weeks of riding or less. No sense wrenching now... :thumbdown:

Offline 6Mile

• Waconia, MN
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 03:52:22 PM »
I am going to Cooke city, MT on March 10th.  the track that i got from tony B has taller lugs and is b!eoch to get in there with the shaft still in place.

Work harder, millions on welfare depend on you...

Sleds:
2013 Polaris Switchback Assault 144 800
2007 Polaris Switchback 600 Wife's sled
1997 Arctic Cat Puma DLX 340 has more time on it last  season than the above sleds.

MNUSA

Offline thnksno

• ^^^The Colonel!
    • http://home.comcast.net/~thnksno/
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 11:48:24 AM »
make sure there isn't anything retaining the bearing first, either a circlip or a lockwheel with a setscrew... Lube it up with some PB nut blaster and leave it overnight. If you can whack two sides at once like with a ball joint fork do that. If not, tap it with a punch near the driveshaft it should come loose, if it moves 1mm it will eventually go the whole way.

Offline Howie

• Donating Members
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 08:29:06 PM »
I don't know how it came out without splitting the caliper. It sure looks to me like there is a retaining ring (#40) holding it. There weren't any chunks of metal that came out with it was there?
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid!
You have 2 ears and 1 mouth. Use them proportionally!

Offline Up Late

• Donating Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 08:34:52 PM »
I don't know how it came out without splitting the caliper. It sure looks to me like there is a retaining ring (#40) holding it. There weren't any chunks of metal that came out with it was there?

The caliper is designed to easily split. I'm pretty sure the retaining ring holds the bearings in the axle support casting (#24). There is a special nut that holds the disc on the axle (#2).
Current Sleds in Stock: None. SOLD OUT!