Author Topic: Help with my 1996 Grand Touring  (Read 5177 times)

Offline DFowler

Help with my 1996 Grand Touring
« on: January 16, 2009, 07:06:49 PM »
Hello.   Bare with me if you can but I need to give the full story.  I recently bought my first snowmobile.   I have never owned one before and know very little about them.   I found a 1996 Grand Touring with a 500 rotax engine with 5500km (3400mi).   It has hardly a scratch on it and was told it was mechanically sound but has been sitting for a while.   At least for 1 full year.   I did a lot of looking (and asking advice) and this machine seemed like the best bargain.   Also, part of the deal was that it would have been put in a shop to have he carbs cleaned and made ready for the season.   I bought it in the fall when there was no snow so all we could do was start it up but not ride it.  It started fine and idled ok but the throttle had to be pressed a bit.   So, when the snow finally came I was excited to try it out but, to my dismay, it worked like total crap.   It started hard and the engine quit running before I could even get out of the yard.   I ended up taking it to a shop only to find out the carbs were clogged solid and so was the gas filter.   After having the carbs cleaned and the filter replaced I took it home and was hoping to get to enjoy the trails.   But once again I was to be disappointed.   It starts great and idles very good and can even be driven....but only for about 5-10 minutes.   Once I get it on the trail and get running along the engine just dies out and the machine quits running.   It will start again but it needs to be primed and will only go a couple hundred feet before it quits again.   I have to let it sit for a few minutes before it will start and go any distance but it always quits running again.   I am at a loss.   Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Any advice would be a great help. 

SatanClaw

Re: Help with my 1996 Grand Touring
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 08:46:49 AM »
Yes, sounds typpical of a sled that's been stationary for a while...

Does it have a chocke ??
If so, does it run with the chocke on ?

If it runs better with the chocke, it's probably gritt\dirt\muck in the fuel pump.

Is there fresh fuel in the gas tank ?

If the fuel is old, drain the tank, and put in new high octane gas.

Spark plugs, have they been changed ? NGK: BR9ES/B9ES

Offline DFowler

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 04:54:07 PM »
Doesn't have a choke.   It has a primer.  there was a smal amunt of fuel in the tank but I have since filled it and run most of that through.   The filter was clogged but has been replaced.   I was wondering if it might be the pump itself.   the plugs are new and it thy both have spark.    Waiting to have the coil tested right now.  Someone else said it might be the stator so I may have to look into that.

Offline DFowler

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 08:41:02 AM »
Put a new stator on and still having the problem.  I guess the coil is next. :(

Offline themxz500

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 09:44:44 PM »
did you put in new fuel lines? i had the same thing happen and it was just old fuel lines that just over time slowly get smaller i guess you can say. worth a shot if that's not it then i have no ideal