Author Topic: Ignition/Key Problems  (Read 6090 times)

Offline neoxum

Ignition/Key Problems
« on: July 08, 2008, 08:07:55 PM »
I have a 1995 Skidoo Formula Z 583 that I just bought. The problem with it is that the key in it does nothing. It is not stollen or anything. I have a valid title/registration and bill of sale.

I was wondering what I do to fix it. What could be wrong? The only thing it needs to start is the theater. The key doesn't do anything.

Thanks

:WinterRules:

Offline neoxum

Ignition/Key Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 08:18:39 PM »
I also noticed that from the back of the key switch there is a thicker red wire with a black line. I followed it and found that it comes to a dead end. It sticks out of the rest of the wires and has an end crimped on it. Where should it go? I can't even find a schemetic for this any where.

If you didn't notice I bought the sled used. The person that had it before me beat the crap out of it. Hopefully when I am done it will be 100%.

:sledder:

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
Ignition/Key Problems
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 08:14:35 AM »
Far as I remember. The key will shut the sled off. So, you need it in the on position while starting it.

As Kingpin stated, you might be better off on www.dootalk.com they have a little more information - and catagories for different types of ski doo products.

Offline Kingpin

Ignition/Key Problems
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 08:18:44 AM »
make sure your teather is on all the way and check to make sure the kill switch is in the correct position...Seriously, I've done that before, pulled, pulled, checked dess cord, pulled, pulled, then finally checked the kill switch, and it was off.
"Dessert is for people who don't drink enough."
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "

Offline neoxum

Ignition/Key Problems
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 12:32:47 AM »
Well my problem isn't getting it started, Its turning it off. The key does notthing at all. Likes its in the on position all the time. Even when the key it out. It will still start. I did notice today that there was a red wire in the back of the ignition and I think it pops out of the split loom right in front of the engine and its not hooked to anything???

:banghead:

Offline needsnow2go

Ignition/Key Problems
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 11:19:44 PM »
Well my problem isn't getting it started, Its turning it off. The key does notthing at all. Likes its in the on position all the time. Even when the key it out. It will still start. I did notice today that there was a red wire in the back of the ignition and I think it pops out of the split loom right in front of the engine and its not hooked to anything???

:banghead:
[snapback]236885[/snapback]

kinda sounds to me like its just unplugged for some reason.. see if you can find a empty socket or plug. but why is it unplugged/disconnected?.. :shrug:

Offline neoxum

Ignition/Key Problems
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 10:19:25 AM »
kinda sounds to me like its just unplugged for some reason.. see if you can find a empty socket or plug. but why is it unplugged/disconnected?.. :shrug:
[snapback]237092[/snapback]

I looked around. Nothings unplugged cept the red wire in the front which i guess is for the electric start (which i didn't even know it had) lol

Any other suggestions?

:SDoo:

Offline needsnow2go

Ignition/Key Problems
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 10:47:13 AM »
[snapback]237092[/snapback]

I looked around. Nothings unplugged cept the red wire in the front which i guess is for the electric start (which i didn't even know it had) lol

Any other suggestions?

:SDoo:
[snapback]237147[/snapback]
hmmm, i suppose you could take the key switch out and see if theres anything obviously wrong with it... but since you have it out anyways why not replace it and see what happens i cant imagine its too expensive   :shrug: