Author Topic: New Horse in the stable  (Read 291 times)

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
New Horse in the stable
« on: November 05, 2018, 01:48:06 PM »
I guess I never posted up pics of the new machine. Too busy starring at it.....
It has 0 miles on it, and I already started ripping it apart to meet Illinois Stock requirements.....

2018 Switchback 600 SP with 144 track

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
Re: New Horse in the stable
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 01:49:28 PM »
17 pound weight loss on the exhaust.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 01:51:17 PM »
shiny

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 03:21:24 PM »
Congratulations on the new sled. I am confused that you would have to modify a stock sled to meet some standard. Here in Minnesota, you would get fined for a modified exhaust.
Hal

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 04:39:59 PM »
I would put some heat shielding around that coolant bottle...
I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 08:24:07 AM »
Congratulations on the new sled. I am confused that you would have to modify a stock sled to meet some standard. Here in Minnesota, you would get fined for a modified exhaust.

Hal, you're correct. Even in Wisconsin, you are not allowed to modify exhaust systems.
The UP of MI doesn't have those restrictions b/c of the density of the area.

Illinois Stock is just a term our riding group came up with. Meaning, we're all too stupid to leave our machines alone.

The only reason I wanted to do it was for weight loss, and a slightly cooler sound. The stock exhaust system is just too tame.
If I ever get sick of it, three springs and I switch it back. No big deal.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 08:28:15 AM »

Hal, you're correct. Even in Wisconsin, you are not allowed to modify exhaust systems.

Illinois Stock is just a term our riding group came up with. Meaning, we're all too stupid to leave our machines alone.

The only reason I wanted to do it was for weight loss, and a slightly cooler sound. The stock exhaust system is just too tame.

That's a good idea.... I thought of it right away, but all I had on hand was metal HVAC tape. I decided to add a piece of aluminum instead, I have these really cool aluminum saddles at work used for pipe insulation, so the insulation doesn't sink onto the pipe hanger. The saddle keeps the weight spread out. Just need to add one of those with a couple hose clamps. The machine is 6 hours away, so I just tinker here and there when I go up to work on the cabin. However, looking at the calendar, we're getting closer and closer to the riding season  :punk:

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 11:40:31 AM »
GB, I won't say you stole it from me, but down here Illinois Stock has been around since the late 70's. As long as the hood closes!
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 01:07:32 PM »

My new sled is so quiet and it doesn't even sound like a snowmobile anymore. I haven't even had a chance to aerate the lawn with it to hear what it really sounds like.
Hal

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 03:28:38 PM »

My new sled is so quiet and it doesn't even sound like a snowmobile anymore. I haven't even had a chance to aerate the lawn with it to hear what it really sounds like.

Mine too. It was "missing" something.... I just needed a slight rumble to remind me that it was still a two stroke.....
I rode my buddy's 800 with the same pipe on it last year and it sounded good, it wasn't too goofy like most pipes, so I figured what the heck......

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 03:31:24 PM »
GB, I won't say you stole it from me, but down here Illinois Stock has been around since the late 70's. As long as the hood closes!

Back when I first met all you guys, nobody's machine was bone stock ! LOL... So much trash talking, until the radar gun runs started at the Pork Shack, that pretty much shut a few yappers up....

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 08:26:35 PM »
I bet it will be load..

:punk:
"Dessert is for people who don't drink enough."
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "

Offline Rage'n Renegade

• Administrator
  • ~ Rage'n Renegade ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 11:10:09 PM »
I bet it will be load..

:punk:
:floor:  :floor:
We need emoticons for Illinois stock and load pipes.  What would they look like?    :floor:

Offline thnksno

• ^^^The Colonel!
    • View Profile
    • http://home.comcast.net/~thnksno/
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 07:50:50 PM »
Nice! I would have liked to have stumbled on a similar holdover. But then again, the plain indy 600 I found is so sad and they priced it so right, it might not have been the same outcome. I was shocked to see sleds in the $16k + range!

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 08:53:46 AM »
Yea, Me too.  The Illinois Stock rules are confusing