Author Topic: New sled  (Read 163 times)

Offline Hal

• View Profile
New sled
« on: October 05, 2018, 06:53:38 PM »
Picked up a new used sled today. It is a 2012 Yamaha Vecture, with power steering, electric start, forward and reverse, tall windshield and mirrors. The previous owner had a heated helmet, so I will have to look into having that set up also. Can my old helmet be modified or do I have to get a new one?
Hal

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
Re: New sled
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 09:19:50 AM »
Picked up a new used sled today. It is a 2012 Yamaha Vecture, with power steering, electric start, forward and reverse, tall windshield and mirrors. The previous owner had a heated helmet, so I will have to look into having that set up also. Can my old helmet be modified or do I have to get a new one?

Heated helmet? the actual helmet or the face shield?
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 09:29:16 AM »

Heated helmet? the actual helmet or the face shield?
I looked it up. It must be the face shield. I hope these things also help with fogged up eye glasses.
Hal

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 09:11:35 AM »

I looked it up. It must be the face shield. I hope these things also help with fogged up eye glasses.

Hal, they don't. That was my hope also when I first had a heated shield in 2010 or so. No where near that amount of warmth from a heated sheild.
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline buddah2

• Annual Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 12:05:33 PM »
I've never found anything helmet-wise that's actually works with glasses. I'm lucky in that I only need mine for up close so I don't have to wear them when riding but do have to have them in case....
"A man's got to know his limitations....."[/size][/color]

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 02:28:53 PM »
I've never found anything helmet-wise that's actually works with glasses. I'm lucky in that I only need mine for up close so I don't have to wear them when riding but do have to have them in case....
Work perfectly no. Much better than anything else I have tried is the Doo modulars with the Jet fighter type nose/mouth piece. Not the BVS2. the full front flip type modulars.
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 04:37:11 PM »

Hal, they don't. That was my hope also when I first had a heated shield in 2010 or so. No where near that amount of warmth from a heated sheild.
r
I was sure hoping it would. I took a closer look at the sled. It is a RS Vector. It is going to take awhile to figure everything out. I did find out that I have to remove a couple of panels just to check the oil and antifreeze levels.
Hal

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 06:43:45 PM »

r
I was sure hoping it would. I took a closer look at the sled. It is a RS Vector. It is going to take awhile to figure everything out. I did find out that I have to remove a couple of panels just to check the oil and antifreeze levels.

The good thing is you change the oil once a year and forget about it until next season. Same for antifreeze unless there is something wrong.
My 2005 Rage (same engine) never used a drop of either in 17,000 miles. Except for the time a stud went through the front heat exchanger. Never ran studs again!
I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 11:35:46 AM »

r

The good thing is you change the oil once a year and forget about it until next season. Same for antifreeze unless there is something wrong.
My 2005 Rage (same engine) never used a drop of either in 17,000 miles. Except for the time a stud went through the front heat exchanger. Never ran studs again!
Right now, I just want to figure out how to get those panels off so that I can fluid levels or change a belt. I read some more and it says I need to slide the side panels forward to remove them. I was trying to lift them up. I talk to the previous owner and told me the filter is underneath and protected by a skid plate. That should be an interesting project next year.
Hal

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 05:51:56 PM »

r

Right now, I just want to figure out how to get those panels off so that I can fluid levels or change a belt. I read some more and it says I need to slide the side panels forward to remove them. I was trying to lift them up. I talk to the previous owner and told me the filter is underneath and protected by a skid plate. That should be an interesting project next year.

There is an access panel for the fiter between the lower A arms. It is held in place with (IIRC) 5-7 Torx head bolts. Very easy to change the filter.
I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 06:44:23 PM »

r

There is an access panel for the fiter between the lower A arms. It is held in place with (IIRC) 5-7 Torx head bolts. Very easy to change the filter.
I will have to remember that when I change oil. Figured out the odometer, trip meters and oil miles meter. Getting close to having this machine all figured out.
Hal

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 06:13:16 AM »

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 03:11:01 PM »
Everything you need to know should be in here...

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/service/manuals/2008/LIT-12628-02-70_RSVector_1447.pdf
Thanks. The previous owner gave me the manual that came with the sled too. Got the side panel off today and found how to check the oil level and drain plug. The antifreeze reservoir is located there also, but buried under the top panel. I thought it was low, because I didn't see the level of fluid. Took the top panel off and found out it was completely full to the cap.
Ready for snow now to try it out.
Hal

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 05:56:31 AM »
Everything you need to know should be in here...

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/service/manuals/2008/LIT-12628-02-70_RSVector_1447.pdf
Thanks. The previous owner gave me the manual that came with the sled too. Got the side panel off today and found how to check the oil level and drain plug. The antifreeze reservoir is located there also, but buried under the top panel. I thought it was low, because I didn't see the level of fluid. Took the top panel off and found out it was completely full to the cap.
Ready for snow now to try it out.

If the coolant reservoir is completely full don't be surprised if it burps some out the first time it gets hot. 

Online greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Today at 07:12:08 AM »
Congrats Hal !  :beer2: