Author Topic: First Day of Summer  (Read 1137 times)

Online greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
Re: First Day of Summer
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2018, 09:11:10 AM »
Mr. snopork to you guys.   wtf you passed on a cheeto yellow sled?

Yeah my mid life crisis #12 really changed things up. Changed truck brands, changed sled brands, I'm straight now.....  :floor:
Im in one of those too...  mid life crisis.  Switched jobs and decided to go back to school (online).  I know Im too old for that, but just something Ive been wanting to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:specool:
You're never too old to go back to school, K. I was 46 when I went back to get my DBA certification.
I was 59 years old when I passed my professional engineer exam. It didn't help my career, but still glad I did it.

Congrats Hal, that's impressive !  :beer2:

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2018, 08:59:29 PM »
Mr. snopork to you guys.   wtf you passed on a cheeto yellow sled?

Yeah my mid life crisis #12 really changed things up. Changed truck brands, changed sled brands, I'm straight now.....  :floor:
Im in one of those too...  mid life crisis.  Switched jobs and decided to go back to school (online).  I know Im too old for that, but just something Ive been wanting to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:specool:
You're never too old to go back to school, K. I was 46 when I went back to get my DBA certification.
I was 59 years old when I passed my professional engineer exam. It didn't help my career, but still glad I did it.

Congrats Hal, that's impressive !  :beer2:
I am proof that you can teach an old dog new tricks
Hal

Offline MNNavy

• Annual Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2018, 07:50:35 AM »
Thinking of selling off everything, moving to my cabin and selling bait on the side of the road.  :thumbsupsmileyanim:
I'd do the same thing if I could get my wife to go for it. (actually, I'd get my Federal Firearms License and open a gun shop)
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with their own money.  --  Alexis de Tocqueville

Online greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2018, 12:14:41 PM »
Thinking of selling off everything, moving to my cabin and selling bait on the side of the road.  :thumbsupsmileyanim:
I'd do the same thing if I could get my wife to go for it. (actually, I'd get my Federal Firearms License and open a gun shop)

Yes, my wife also lacks my vision.....  :ninja:

Offline MNNavy

• Annual Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2018, 08:20:58 AM »

Yes, my wife also lacks my vision.....  :ninja:
Mine is OK with the FFL and gun shop idea. She doesn't like the idea of living 2+ hours from the grandkids (and 1+ hour from a mall).
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with their own money.  --  Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2018, 11:38:34 AM »
Or wives all sound the same. Although being 5 hours {I want to go to Vilas county Wi. Preferably around St Germain} from our 2 grandsons would be hard for me also. 1&1/4  hour is too far sometimes. Especially with the bullchit Chitcago traffic we got through to get there. No malls? Thats a plus. For me!
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline SNO4ME

• Now that's Vintage
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2018, 03:31:10 PM »
Live'n the dream. Don't have a Railroad pension but don't have to shoot bill collectors either.
Fall is here. Couple cool raw days in a row here. No temps under 40 yet... (But today is barely 50)
Just wandered back from two weeks camping our way across ND, eastern MT, eastern WY and SD.
Had a cool couple nights in MT and WY, 38 degrees in a CG in the Bighorn NF up by Medicine Wheel. Another night somewhere was 42.  (heater nights)
Spent a couple nights up in Bighorn Canyon Rec Area north of Lovell WY. (said to be the third biggest canyon in the country) but camp grounds are actually in MT.
End of a dead end road 25 miles from town. So quiet you could hear the gas fridge hissing at night.   :specool:

88 days till the first day of winter.
LLAP

Offline Rage'n Renegade

• Administrator
  • ~ Rage'n Renegade ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2018, 04:02:28 PM »

Thanks guys!  I'm 52 so I don't expect it to help my career too much, but it's something I've just wanted to do for a while.  Who knows what will come of it?   Hal, good for you!!   Greekboy, I'd go along with that roadside bait selling idea too.   I don't have grandkids yet so my only thing right now with being too far out in the sticks is that it gets old having to drive 45 minutes one way to go shopping...   Amazon has become my go to.   I think UPS will deliver to any back road, won't they?    :floor:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 04:09:07 PM by Rage'n Renegade »

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2018, 04:53:09 PM »
We are about ready to pack it in ourselves... I will be 62 and on the bottom tier of SS retirement in November. Lynn has two more years. We were scheduled to look at a property in Pa while we were there on vacation last week but the seller got an offer so we backed off. Not sure of the outcome yet.
Lynn would like to have a B&B and we are both into motorcycles so we are discussing a B&B/Campground catering to motorcycles but open to all.
A buddy of ours was looking in Tennessee and was looking for partners but nothing concrete ever came out of that.
I am thinking of somewhere along I 81 which is pretty much the spine of the Appalachians with plenty of great roads for riding.

Lynn would handle the accommodations and I would offer day tours and support (service and repairs) as well as taking care of the property.
I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Online greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2018, 10:08:31 AM »

Thanks guys!  I'm 52 so I don't expect it to help my career too much, but it's something I've just wanted to do for a while.  Who knows what will come of it?   Hal, good for you!!   Greekboy, I'd go along with that roadside bait selling idea too.   I don't have grandkids yet so my only thing right now with being too far out in the sticks is that it gets old having to drive 45 minutes one way to go shopping...   Amazon has become my go to.   I think UPS will deliver to any back road, won't they?    :floor:

I'm just burnt out. 24 years at the same job. It's just a grind. Zero enjoyment M-F at work. Lucky for me, I have a great home life and I day dream (all the time) about being at my cabin or motorcycling, snowmobiling, atv riding, boating or hunting. Having active hobbies keeps me young. Having two boys helps out too. I spoke with my union representative a few weeks ago and found out that the earliest I can retire is in 10 years from now. I would get a 20% hit retiring that early, but right now, I'm thinking that's the game plan.

At 57 I would just pass out flyers at lake homes by my cabin and just be a remodeling contractor / handyman dude. Try to stay busy a couple days a week and have a small income for day to day spending. I have two key assets that people want. #1) I show up. #2) I get sh!t done, when I show up.

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2018, 10:23:02 AM »
We are about ready to pack it in ourselves... I will be 62 and on the bottom tier of SS retirement in November. Lynn has two more years. We were scheduled to look at a property in Pa while we were there on vacation last week but the seller got an offer so we backed off. Not sure of the outcome yet.
Lynn would like to have a B&B and we are both into motorcycles so we are discussing a B&B/Campground catering to motorcycles but open to all.
A buddy of ours was looking in Tennessee and was looking for partners but nothing concrete ever came out of that.
I am thinking of somewhere along I 81 which is pretty much the spine of the Appalachians with plenty of great roads for riding.

Lynn would handle the accommodations and I would offer day tours and support (service and repairs) as well as taking care of the property.

Thats sounds like you would enjoy that Phantom. Me I like the  limited obligations retirement has brought me. Coming up on 6 years in January.
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2018, 07:06:51 AM »

I retired last year in august - for about 8 months.  Walked into a part-time opportunity working in the service dept for local Ford dealership.  And I dont have to get greasy get great discounts on labor and parts.  Helps balance out the college bills and the "almost" emancipated children bills.   Did I mention I get a sweet employee discount..................waitin for a new F250 turbo smoker that should be here mid to late November.  I may do this until I'm 62 also cuzz then I can draw social security also and re-retire - or maybe not