Author Topic: New Iron  (Read 805 times)

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
New Iron
« on: May 29, 2018, 01:11:54 PM »
This is odd. I actually called a dealer to make a deal on a left back 2018 model machine, and they actually told me "No" call us back in October / November......

They are a big boat / wave runner dealer and they just shut down the sled stuff - once the season ends.

I still thought that to be really odd. You'd think they'd bend over backwards to sell a sled in May / June ????

Offline ZiRT

• View Profile
Re: New Iron
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 12:43:48 PM »
Anybody that turns down business flat like that is either making too much $ to care, or needs a new line of work.  There's lots of ways to diplomatically say "it'll be a little while before we can accommodate you".

Offline Howie

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 03:30:24 PM »
Ok, so who was it??? :shrug:
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid!
You have 2 ears and 1 mouth. Use them proportionally!

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 06:14:49 PM »
Anybody that turns down business flat like that is either making too much $ to care, or needs a new line of work.  There's lots of ways to diplomatically say "it'll be a little while before we can accommodate you".

If a dealer treated me like that I would find another dealer...
I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 06:04:09 AM »
Nielsons? If so, I am not surprised.
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline AdrenalineJunkie

• Trump Train is rollin coal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 02:14:09 PM »
Anyone else in for a new over priced tall cold ride for next winter?  I'd give ya my review of the 018 eltigre 8000 w/ 1k miles in the stable but my dali-lama license expired.  I left hints in here however.  lol.   I glanced at the turbo donkey but beside the MSRP shock I was impressioned with its atv like appearance.  Ever ride an atv in the winter? I did....once.  'nuff said.
I guess Im in for new shocks instead on the battle cruiser. 
"Sometimes we choose to make our own cross to carry, sometimes we are given it"

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 08:06:12 AM »
I think I have it narrowed down to a 2018 Ski Doo Renegade 600 Backcountry. It's a good compromise for the kind of riding I do and it has almost all the features I want in a sled. The internet price is around $2,600 off, as it's a left back model, so I assumed they'd just uncrate it, prep it and sell it. However they made it clear that at a certain date, they stop dealing with the sleds and they focus on their summer stuff. I just felt that to be really odd.

It's hard to sell sleds in the winter, how many people call you in the spring or early summer ? Only dumb asses like me.... LOL.....

Offline SNO4ME

• Now that's Vintage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 07:03:58 AM »
I've run across a dealer or two like that.
Zirt nails is though. "It will be a little while before we can accommodate you".
LLAP

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 03:24:34 PM »
I've run across a dealer or two like that.
Zirt nails is though. "It will be a little while before we can accommodate you".

Hoping the price goes down in the fall  :rolleyes:
I've been looking around for the same sled at a different dealer, but the backcountry model is difficult to find (left back savings).

Buy getting a 2018 model, I stand to save 20% - so that's my justification.....
Now I can spend $2,500 on new apparel  :punk:

Offline David

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 05:11:57 PM »
Anyone else in for a new over priced tall cold ride for next winter?  I'd give ya my review of the 018 eltigre 8000 w/ 1k miles in the stable but my dali-lama license expired.  I left hints in here however.  lol.   I glanced at the turbo donkey but beside the MSRP shock I was impressioned with its atv like appearance.  Ever ride an atv in the winter? I did....once.  'nuff said.

AJ, your license is here by renewed.  Other than my '18 el tigre 137" having the infamous "flame shooting exhaust" , I had no issues with my sled.  Granted, the first thing I did was put on a tall windshield and mirrors.  2200 miles on it last season.  Just waiting on Cat to do something about the flaming exhaust.  They must be pushing that expense out to the first quarter of 2019.

What was under whelming about your ride?
You're not the dalai lama of sled appraisals bro   :biggrin: :beer2:
You never see a snowmobile parked in front of a Psychiatrist office.

Offline AdrenalineJunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 11:24:34 AM »

AJ, your license is here by renewed.  Other than my '18 el tigre 137" having the infamous "flame shooting exhaust" , I had no issues with my sled.  Granted, the first thing I did was put on a tall windshield and mirrors.  2200 miles on it last season.  Just waiting on Cat to do something about the flaming exhaust.  They must be pushing that expense out to the first quarter of 2019.

What was under whelming about your ride?
Keeping in mind this is my riding buddy's sled;
YEs the flame I have seen a couple times as a spectator.  lol.  Not sure whats going on there other than unburnt fuel hanging around in muffler. His has not melted or damaged anything. YEs real windshield and mirrors went on right away.   Electric start is finally well designed, at least appears to be with no crunching sounds like "a tossed down the stairs 6 million dollar man lunch box full of hot-wheels".
I'm not a fan of the pro-cross machines. I suppose I could get used to them but I see no need to yet. My thoughts are that rider CG is too high and I dont feel confidant on machine when riding it. Likely just me.  MY gsx is way more stable and even thought it too is pretty tall, I think its that extra couple inches on the PC that I cant get used to. 
 I have kept my ride height sit in pretty low for better handling and stability but believe I am riding now in the firm valving of the rear shock ( or mechanical leveraging) so ride has been seemingly getting worse as springs settle down more and more.   Time this season for a different shock, I have no use for that air feature which really is just for load accommodation.
Can you tell us more about your 018 tiger 8? 

Offline David

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 09:54:16 PM »
Cat finally figured out how to make a headlight work like it should.  This new style headlight is the bomb.  Nice white light all over the place. The 3 different shock settings are nice.  Most of what I rode last year was flat so I left the skis firm and the rear in the middle position. (from what I hear you can't do that with the new electric select on the '19's, front and rear will be the same of whatever you select).  Ride is nice and smooth.  I suppose the extra 4" on the ground helps.

Other thing I really like is the new clutching.  Take off is so much smoother than with the old clutches.

New side panels are nice for getting at the oil tank.  Motor is  better on oil than my '15 8000 zr lxr.  Gas consumption is about the same.  Top end is about the same as well.

Only thing I've noticed moving to a 137" is that the water temp runs a little hotter than my '15 in really tight, hard trails.  apparently the back end sits just a little higher/farther back and doesn't get the same snow spray as a 129".  Denise and I can be riding the same trails and my heat light will blink while her's won't.  In the pic below it was -10* and you'll notice I have a scratcher down while
Denise doesn't.

It is a little colder riding than the F series sleds.  But it feels a lot lighter and much more nimble than an F sled.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 09:56:47 PM by David »
You're not the dalai lama of sled appraisals bro   :biggrin: :beer2:
You never see a snowmobile parked in front of a Psychiatrist office.

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 09:29:39 AM »
David I find it odd the 137 runs warmer than the 129. The Poo's 136/137's  run cooler than shorties due to longer heat exchangers in my experience. My 15 Indy 6 really needed scratcher's and a longer snow flap/
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline AdrenalineJunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 02:40:21 PM »
Last season we had some hard trails from freezing rain and the new eltigre 8000 was very sensitive to that.  Hot light came on a few times causing him to pullover and shut it down.  Our 7000 and 1200 machines both have a radiator so we had no issues.

Offline buddah2

• Annual Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 06:36:08 PM »
We had several meltdowns last year here in the U.P....do you guys run ice scratchers? I have them on my 141 Viper and the temps would drop at least 25 or more degrees with them down....my .02

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 06:44:59 PM by buddah2 »
"A man's got to know his limitations....."[/size][/color]