UP ride Feb 16-18

Author Topic: UP ride Feb 16-18  (Read 986 times)

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
UP ride Feb 16-18
« on: February 21, 2018, 05:13:36 PM »
In case anyone wants UP info.....

Friday 02/16
My son and I trailered to Watersmeet, MI for a half day ride. Ran Trail #2 west to the bottom of Lake GoGebic, then trail #13 North to the top of the lake. All good snow / good condition riding, even after a huge warm up earlier in the week. Just a few days prior, temps hit 48 above which iced up most of the area. Got to the top of the lake and had some snow issues. The trail ran along a blacktop road and they must have salted it b/c there was almost no snow along the road. At some point my motor shut off and I thought I blew the damn thing up, but for whatever reason, she fired right back up and we continued the ride. Found a local bar and ate lunch. Called my riding buddy to coordinate a time to meet up and discovered we needed to high tail it back, in order to meet up with him in time. With the motor issues and the fact that we were told trail #1 was shut down due to logging. We decided to shoot the lake South and intercept trail #2 again back to Watersmeet. All in all 105 mile loop on day one, then shot back to my camp.

Saturday 02/17
Three of us trailered to Champion, MI. Ran the trail system North the Big Bay, MI Using trail #8 and trail #5, then trail #14 to Big Bay. Trails were great. Some icy corners, but for the most part all smiles too and from. Did some off trail stuff South of Big Bay and retraced our trail ride back to the trailer to get home. Loaded the sleds in the dark and drove back to camp. 145 miles on this day and all went great.

Safe travels peeps, the season is coming to an end unless we get some nice spring storms.....

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
Re: UP ride Feb 16-18
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 09:38:32 AM »
Nice to see the crew up at the Lumberjack and then to the infamous Big Bay Sled Camp... 
"Dessert is for people who don't drink enough."
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 10:26:01 AM »
After parting ways with you guys, we rode along the road, to intercept the trail system. Ran through some virgin snow and found a creek bed. I stopped as fast as I could when I saw open water. All three of us got stuck waist deep in snow in this narrow creek bed. Rock walls and tree stumps on both sides of us. There was no riding out of it, and no shovels. We had to muscle all three sleds in 180 degrees to get out. If I didn't have a heart attack right there, right then, I think I'm safe for a long while..... Took us 45 minutes to un stick our selves and I ran John Z's sled into a rock wall trying to ride out of his situation. Lucky for me (and him) no damage to the machine, but damn that hurt - as I flew over the bars into the rock wall. Dripping in sweat, we rode another 2 hours back to the truck and trailer..... Ahhhh I love snowmobiling......  :beer2:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 01:44:31 PM by greekboy »

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 12:33:46 PM »
that pic I posted, it took fireball almost 10 minutes to get up to John from where I was at.  Snow depth was very deceptive as it was crusty and setup about 2 ft under the top, break thru that and it was a bit deep. 
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 06:01:52 PM »
Glad I stick to trails
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 12:56:07 PM »
Glad I stick to trails

In the old days, I only went "off trail" by accident  :banghead:

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 11:48:40 AM »
Well, I'm pretty damn bummed..... Had to cancel my last sled trip due to kids sports....... Seems to happen every year...... My oldest kid won a state playoff game he wasn't supposed to win and they advanced to the final 8 teams in Illinois State Tier 2 hockey playoffs. They play a three game round robin and 8 teams turn into 2 teams at the end of the weekend. Then the final 2 teams move on to play at the United Center in Chicago (Chicago Blackhawks Home Ice). Its a long shot (trust me), but I can't go riding while my kid is playing round two playoff hockey  :thumbdown:

Hoping we get some spring storms rolling in and maybe we can play in the woods mid-March??

Offline buddah2

• Annual Subscribers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 01:11:19 PM »
I know the forecast says high 30's to even 40 for rest of entire week.....but don't be a pessimist just yet......it IS the U.P. and it is STILL frippin February.......... :smoke:
"A man's got to know his limitations....."[/size][/color]

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 10:15:46 PM »
Well, I'm pretty damn bummed..... Had to cancel my last sled trip due to kids sports....... Seems to happen every year...... My oldest kid won a state playoff game he wasn't supposed to win and they advanced to the final 8 teams in Illinois State Tier 2 hockey playoffs. They play a three game round robin and 8 teams turn into 2 teams at the end of the weekend. Then the final 2 teams move on to play at the United Center in Chicago (Chicago Blackhawks Home Ice). Its a long shot (trust me), but I can't go riding while my kid is playing round two playoff hockey  :thumbdown:

Hoping we get some spring storms rolling in and maybe we can play in the woods mid-March??
So what? your cancelling already for this weekend?  Tom and I are going- they got 16 inches of snow since we left last weekend.  Just spoke to FlyinV - he and his son may come up also.  If your on the fence over pussing out - come up to Mercer.  We can always watch snow videos on the bigscreen TV we got now and exaggerate stories of past Porker runs.  Last week we watched a bunch of Johnny Skeptical yamaha vids - I didn't realize how good those were

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 08:25:00 AM »

So what? your cancelling already for this weekend?  Tom and I are going- they got 16 inches of snow since we left last weekend.  Just spoke to FlyinV - he and his son may come up also.  If your on the fence over pussing out - come up to Mercer.  We can always watch snow videos on the bigscreen TV we got now and exaggerate stories of past Porker runs.  Last week we watched a bunch of Johnny Skeptical yamaha vids - I didn't realize how good those were

Dude, I paid like $15,000 for my kid to play AA hockey this season, I'm thinking I should go to round two of the state playoffs..... Besides, it's looking like this will be his last year of playing, so that will free up future sled seasons. He's burnt out with hockey and now he has a steady girlfriend, two part time jobs, all his honors & AP classes and trying to plan what college he will attend.

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 09:22:50 AM »
15 g's.... whoa, that is a new sled..   OK, I just thought you were wimping cuzz it was warming up. If My kids in championship games I'm going to em too.  Sorry for the miscue
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 09:25:16 AM by snopork »

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 10:19:50 AM »
15 g's.... whoa, that is a new sled..   OK, I just thought you were wimping cuzz it was warming up. If My kids in championship games I'm going to em too.  Sorry for the miscue

Yes, the last two years he's played AA hockey $$
A hockey was half that price.

This might be the last three games he ever plays, so I decided to see them.
Hoping I make up for lost time next season...  :punk:

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 11:31:06 AM »
Dude, I paid like $15,000 for my kid to play AA hockey this season, I'm thinking I should go to round two of the state playoffs..... Besides, it's looking like this will be his last year of playing, so that will free up future sled seasons. He's burnt out with hockey and now he has a steady girlfriend, two part time jobs, all his honors & AP classes and trying to plan what college he will attend.

Greek, it is a great ride and yes you need to be at those games!  I gave you my opinion regarding A/AA/AAA "checkbook" hockey years ago... expensive and it takes away from being a rounded athlete. Hockey is a small part of life and at some point players realize grades, work, social life, or other interests are compromised when every free moment is spent at the rink. Best to your son and he is fortunate for all you've done for him, these years will help shape the man he becomes.
Just a typical snowmobiler...

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 09:55:13 PM »

Andy,
Fireball Dave and I were supposed to head up with GB.  Where about you going to be riding?  Maybe we will find a hotel room up that way and meet up.

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 05:32:06 AM »
we are at my place