Author Topic: WoW! FFF'NNN Cold  (Read 885 times)

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
Re: WoW! FFF'NNN Cold
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 09:06:09 AM »
Manufacturers want something that sells period.  And if they get to sell more accessories at dealerships or directly, even better.  Just the way it is.  Features like staying warm are just not key selling points to marketing folks.
"Dessert is for people who don't drink enough."
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "

Offline AdrenalineJunkie

• Trump Train is rollin coal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 06:22:13 PM »
Manufacturers want something that sells period.  And if they get to sell more accessories at dealerships or directly, even better.  Just the way it is.  Features like staying warm are just not key selling points to marketing folks.
Well that's it...do marketing folks know what they are doing? Sales are Half of what they were 20 years ago.  90's early 2k's were exciting and I bought new sleds about every year. Since 2010's.........I have zero interest in the new stuff.  I get the same vibe from my circle, but Some say its a bunch of factors not just sled design. IDK, but no more new sleds for me till there is some serious design change including lower rider cg, better riding, warmer riding.
"Sometimes we choose to make our own cross to carry, sometimes we are given it"

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 06:53:12 AM »
No way to I want to go back to my hands down near my knees and my knees higher than my hips. Low riders are only for a racetrack.
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 08:11:13 AM »
No way to I want to go back to my hands down near my knees and my knees higher than my hips. Low riders are only for a racetrack.

I gotta say, if I were still riding xtra-10 sleds at my age, I'd be retired from all this.....  there are pro's and con's to the new style machines, but overall they have come a long way.  You're getting twice the sled at twice the price these days.....

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 09:59:37 AM »

I gotta say, if I were still riding xtra-10 sleds at my age, I'd be retired from all this.....  there are pro's and con's to the new style machines, but overall they have come a long way.  You're getting twice the sled at twice the price these days.....

The low slung Polaris xtra-10 with small/low bars was behind the competition in terms of ergonomics for taller guys. I would still ride a ZR/ZL with fresh shocks all day long and not complain. The Cat a-arms, wide/higher bars, 13" fast track, w/ higher seating position worked well for tall guys.
Just a typical snowmobiler...

Offline AdrenalineJunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 07:08:14 PM »
I'm not talking about a 71 oly here....take a knee.  I loved the ergos on the edge, the twinspar  and some others.  I'm well aware of the knee to hip height ratio. very low seats are horrible. We have had this discussion dead horse. Very tall seats are no fun...I'm not alone hence bogus sales.  Your knees hips whatever coming apart does suck but on the other token I hate freezing and riding atv tall machines that require copious amounts of input on corners.  Notice the popularity of SXS atv?  Same scenario.  high rider CG just sucks.  I always thought the twinspar was best compromise but could no longer deal with rock hard seating.  so.....my wifes 03 pantera rides better than my 015 ski-doo the majority of the time on groomed trails, while always keeping you warmer. She will also tell you that.  Who is wrong? I like the ergos better on the 015 but I don't see why best of both cant be had.  Time again to go take a rip on my old school dragger...

Offline AdrenalineJunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 07:14:17 PM »

No way are you getting twice the sled  lol.  Twice the cost yes, closer to triple.  I'm not seeing reliability increases either.  Speed limits are still 45.  Trails are better groomed more often and with better machines.  Tel me why we need to buy $15000 snocross designed sleds for the trail?  Has suspension travel doubled?  no. Seat height doubled...yup. lmao.  I say mfg trends have fallen away from market.  My proof is sales numbers.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:16:52 PM by AdrenalineJunkie »

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 08:51:26 AM »

No way are you getting twice the sled  lol.  Twice the cost yes, closer to triple.  I'm not seeing reliability increases either.  Speed limits are still 45.  Trails are better groomed more often and with better machines.  Tel me why we need to buy $15000 snocross designed sleds for the trail?  Has suspension travel doubled?  no. Seat height doubled...yup. lmao.  I say mfg trends have fallen away from market.  My proof is sales numbers.

Mnfr's continue to make these machines too fancy. Way too much electronics, etc. I have to admit, some of the stuff is pretty cool. BUT I'd much rather keep it simple and keep the costs down. I just can't afford what these new machines cost anymore.... Especially when you consider using them 5-6 weekends a year....

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 12:03:05 PM »
Time again to go take a rip on my old school dragger...

AJ, sweet old iron! You're a pro at bringing them back to mint condition. I pulled this out of the bush last night, ran when parked I'm told...

Offline ZiRT

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 01:08:30 PM »
Time again to go take a rip on my old school dragger...

AJ, sweet old iron! You're a pro at bringing them back to mint condition. I pulled this out of the bush last night, ran when parked I'm told...
My old eyes can't tell- is that a 5000?  :specool:

Offline 2qik

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 08:56:53 AM »
My old eyes can't tell- is that a 5000?  :specool:

Yeah, 5000 with the 500cc free air.  It's rough so not sure if it will become a rider or a parts machine.  :c-n:

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 01:43:34 PM »
The only reason I want to upgrade to a new machine is that my old 1998 Yamaha 500 only gets 4mpg and have to stop every 30 miles for more fuel. It isn't always easy to find a convenient station that sells non-oxygenated fuel. But I am not paying $15000 for a new one. That is even more insane than keeping my old machine.
Hal

Offline Frostbit

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 08:07:20 PM »

This thread sure went south from its topic!

No way in hell I want to go back to old iron, not even anything from 10 years ago. Love this 4-stroke and the chassis it is in.

On the topic note, its -25 here today. I retired in June and spent three weeks in Thailand in October, and just returned home Friday from a month in Mexico/Guatemala/Belize. Got the sled out of hibernation yesterday, but I'm now waiting for it to warm up a bit. Greetings, all :)
Frostbit

Nome, Alaska

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2018, 08:46:27 AM »

This thread sure went south from its topic!

No way in hell I want to go back to old iron, not even anything from 10 years ago. Love this 4-stroke and the chassis it is in.

On the topic note, its -25 here today. I retired in June and spent three weeks in Thailand in October, and just returned home Friday from a month in Mexico/Guatemala/Belize. Got the sled out of hibernation yesterday, but I'm now waiting for it to warm up a bit. Greetings, all :)

That's cuz it went from -15F to +42F in three weeks.  :smoke:
This snowmobiling hobby thingy is starting to get to me......  :snow:

Offline ZiRT

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2018, 01:25:48 PM »
Meltdown #2 is here. Mid-40s and sunny Saturday, low 40s Sunday with the same for today. Rain tonight and tomorrow, with only a brief drop back into the teens late week, and up into the 40s for next weekend. This one's gonna be a long one I think.