Author Topic: WoW! FFF'NNN Cold  (Read 1448 times)

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
WoW! FFF'NNN Cold
« on: December 31, 2017, 02:17:19 PM »
Was in Vilas County Wi.,  Tuesday through Friday riding. High of -10 Tuesday. Slightly warmer but not by much each day after.  -30 each night. Maybe +6 Friday daytime. Cold never used to bother me, but after loosing 66#'s last Memorial day to now, I was cold!!! Trails decent but early season. Lot of traffic starting Thursday. The Pit stops were all full. It was better pre Xmas week when I was also up. Lakes are all marked now. No snow in site for early January but no meltdowns coming either. Happy New Year all!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 10:04:51 PM by racerdave »
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline Hal

• View Profile
Re: WoW! FFF'NNN Cold
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 10:02:01 PM »
Yes it is cold, but not enough snow around here in southern MN to sled on. We are making good ice though.
Hal

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 08:49:36 AM »
Was up after Xmas with my brother and our boys.  -24 on Tuesday and -15 on Wednesday.   Could feel the cold through the helmet shield

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 08:57:20 AM »
My boys and I rode Friday 12/29 and Saturday 12/30. We waited until around Noon time to start and it was +5F on both days. Returned home before night fall, as the temps were dropping quickly. Trails by me were low on snow and icy as heck. Only rode around 150 miles combined for both days, as the cold was just hard to over come. Nights got in the -10 to -15F range and my electric heat bill will surely send chills up my spine...

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 09:09:09 AM »
I'm going up this weekend - boys decided to wait til more snow in woods.  Have a couple of neighbors on lake wanting to ride and some retired controllers coming up on Sunday for the week.  Theyre staying in Saynor - might spen a couple days riding with them

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 09:30:05 AM »
Andy, if you ride Sayner area, go up on top of Musky Mt. On a clear day you can see all the way to the Porkies/Lake Superior
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 09:33:27 AM »
NOAA marker from the 50's on top of Musky Mt.
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 02:59:52 PM »
Andy, if you ride Sayner area, go up on top of Musky Mt. On a clear day you can see all the way to the Porkies/Lake Superior

Porkies / Gogebic area is supposed to have good snow cover !
As should further north into the Keweenaw.

Also heard that Munision / Grand Marias area got pounded too.

All LES  :snow:

Offline AdrenalineJunkie

• Trump Train is rollin coal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 01:25:25 PM »
I have the biggest doo windshield I can get on order.  MY 1200 broke down 15 miles out.  Got stuck in reverse, the reverse servo motor failed. Was 5 below o. As I towed the hefty 1200 back.....with the wife steering it and her trusty 15 years old pantera pulling it, I noticed how much warmer her sled was, and how it was better riding over most trail bumps.  Yup.  I also had to turn the handwarmers on the old classic cat from low to off as my hands got too hot. Imagine that?  My new doo the handwarmers don't even work at those temps. To a bare hand you can barely tell they are doing anything.  This new stuff is disappointing. No need to wonder why sales are half of what they were a decade ago. Cold rider fwd shitty ride. My buddy on his new yamacat could not even keep up with us he claimed going over 25 sucked the heat right off him, he was freezing.  lol.
He is why we turned around to go back and find him when my reverse got stuck. !@*#$
"Sometimes we choose to make our own cross to carry, sometimes we are given it"

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 02:34:49 PM »
I have the biggest doo windshield I can get on order.  MY 1200 broke down 15 miles out.  Got stuck in reverse, the reverse servo motor failed. Was 5 below o. As I towed the hefty 1200 back.....with the wife steering it and her trusty 15 years old pantera pulling it, I noticed how much warmer her sled was, and how it was better riding over most trail bumps.  Yup.  I also had to turn the handwarmers on the old classic cat from low to off as my hands got too hot. Imagine that?  My new doo the handwarmers don't even work at those temps. To a bare hand you can barely tell they are doing anything.  This new stuff is disappointing. No need to wonder why sales are half of what they were a decade ago. Cold rider fwd shitty ride. My buddy on his new yamacat could not even keep up with us he claimed going over 25 sucked the heat right off him, he was freezing.  lol.
He is why we turned around to go back and find him when my reverse got stuck. !@*#$

Yeah, it seems that the mnfr's keep making specialized machines for different segments of the market, but they continue to fail on the basics. The fact that they make electric start sleds and they stopped providing pull chords just floors me. People fail to realize that if you get stranded at -15F, you're pretty much screwed.  :glare:

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 09:04:28 PM »
It's all about the bottom line.
Most sleds likely only see 5-10 miles at a time before stopping so a smaller, less expensive windshield not only looks more attractive (like the people who ride sleds like that) but it is cheaper to manufacture.
I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 08:23:07 AM »
Most sleds likely only see 5-10 miles at a time before stopping so a smaller, less expensive windshield not only looks more attractive (like the people who ride sleds like that) but it is cheaper to manufacture.

A bigger screen is often listed in their accessories catalog too. You want more protection? Buy it..... LOL.....
Mountain sleds don't even have one on anymore. I'm pretty stuck on buying crossover machines having a cabin in snow country / LES my place is usually hit or miss. Trails are normally good to go during the season, but LES snow is around 1 hour north of me, so I can always trailer further if need be.

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 12:22:52 PM »
I asked the dealer why sleds only come with small windshields. He said sleds with high windshields don't sell. However, it is the first purchase after a brutally cold ride.
Hal

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 08:51:31 PM »
Hal, that's a age/experience thing. Or, looking cool/being smart.
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 08:26:29 AM »
Hal, that's a age/experience thing. Or, looking cool/being smart.

Turtle vs Rabbit ? LOL.... I'm both, it all depends on what we're talking about....  :biggrin:

The newer machines sit up so high as it is, then you add in the low windscreens and it makes it all that much worse. I ran my son's 2015 Polaris 550F x 144 a few weeks back and noticed a huge lack of wind protection on my chest and hands.