Author Topic: Down to three sleds....  (Read 425 times)

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
Down to three sleds....
« on: September 25, 2017, 07:32:13 AM »
I somehow managed to sell my oldest machine on the hottest weekend in Northern Illinois. I think the gauge hit 95 degrees yesterday and a nice guy and his wife stopped out to look at my 1999 Polaris XCSP 500. Guy was real good with mechanics and will have that sled in top running condition soon. Gotta be honest, I didn't realize how banged up she got over the years, just from sitting around ! My wife only rode the sled 1-2 times per year, for low mile rides. She didn't ride it at all last year.

Mice made a nest in the damn engine compartment and they chewed up some wires..... Then the track had 3-4 lugs ripped off it and it looked dry rotted. I realize it was an original track, but I never saw it go, all the sudden I'm staring at it and boom - it sucked... I felt bad and knocked down the price ASAP.

Lucky for both of us, we came to an middle number and off she went. Otherwise, I was just going to part it out and sell it on ebay.... So it all worked out.

Now I need to decide if I'm going to replace it, or not... Kinda like having the extra space in the garage....

Offline Hal

• View Profile
Re: Down to three sleds....
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 10:56:15 AM »
I would like to downsize too. I have a 1976 Arctic Cat Cheetah that I want to get rid of. It has been sitting unused in my garage since 1993.
Hal

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 01:57:08 PM »
I would like to downsize too. I have a 1976 Arctic Cat Cheetah that I want to get rid of. It has been sitting unused in my garage since 1993.

You better get a hold of David. Isn't he the cat collector here? Or is it 2qik
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 02:36:26 PM »
I'm just amazed how quickly things go bad, just from sitting around !!

I wish all my treasures would be preserved forever and ever  :biggrin:

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 08:09:37 PM »

There were two old AC cheetahs at our club swap meet last year. They were both in running condition and couldn't get anybody to buy any of them for $200.
Hal

Offline ZiRT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 02:52:05 PM »

There were two old AC cheetahs at our club swap meet last year. They were both in running condition and couldn't get anybody to buy any of them for $200.
Same way here. Even very nice old iron is a tough sell for low 3 figures. Sleds just don't follow the same path as vintage cars or even antiques in general. I guess that's good if you're buying!

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 08:13:58 AM »

Same way here. Even very nice old iron is a tough sell for low 3 figures. Sleds just don't follow the same path as vintage cars or even antiques in general. I guess that's good if you're buying!

I think that depends on what they are. Muscle sleds, SRX,Centurion,TXl,Interceptors, bring decent money in good shape.
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 11:45:01 AM »
I think the industry as a whole is in bad shape. I mean, you need A LOT of spare money to stay into this hobby. Most people are in self preservation mode right now.

The older muscle sleds are pretty cool, but no time and no money fo-dat !!!

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 07:44:35 PM »
Vintage Dirt Bikes are doing quite well right now... Thank You very much!
I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 07:29:29 PM »
I've seen some Maicos and Pentons that went for good money. Huskeys too.
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 08:14:33 PM »
I've seen some Maicos and Pentons that went for good money. Huskeys too.

Oh yeah they are bringing major coin right now especially the euro bikes. I bought my Husky for a song before I even realized they have a huge following.
 KTM is the "IN" race bike now and Penton was the seed that started KTM. Before either of them Husky was the go to bike for off road competition.
I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 01:33:39 PM »
get some old Bultaco's while your into the vintage thing...  :nono:
A co-worker has a new KTM supermoto that he rides on road and off trail too.  Nice bike, hulligan machine.
"Dessert is for people who don't drink enough."
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 06:09:12 PM »
get some old Bultaco's while your into the vintage thing...  :nono:
A co-worker has a new KTM supermoto that he rides on road and off trail too.  Nice bike, hulligan machine.

'Tacos, Ossas and Montesas are great. I had a 1980 Montesa Cota 200 Trials Bike a few years ago. Bought it reasonable and played around on it for a few years sold it for an $800 profit. I wish I had kept it though.

Offline AdrenalineJunkie

• Trump Train is rollin coal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 03:10:46 PM »

I think that depends on what they are. Muscle sleds, SRX,Centurion,TXl,Interceptors, bring decent money in good shape.
Mice get into my stuff despite reasonable efforts to stop them.  This forced me to sell off some of my nice vintage before they get ruined.  84 tiger 6000 gone.  83 v-max, gone. 73 skiroule rtx, gone.  Those sleds netted me 12 grand. Not sure how much I lost.....not a lot if you don't count my time. Count the hours and its a joke.
"Sometimes we choose to make our own cross to carry, sometimes we are given it"