Author Topic: Buying a used daily driver...  (Read 348 times)

Offline PRO-X 600

• Is lost & confused :(
    • View Profile
Buying a used daily driver...
« on: December 12, 2016, 01:35:53 PM »
I absolutely love my Dmax, owned it since new(be 10yrs in a month), just cracked 100k, made no payments in 7yrs. I do need to replace the ABS module (once I can get it off, stupid torx screws) but other than that replacing all the glowplugs(last month) a pair of sneakers and routine maintenance/fuel, it's been flawless. I had typical rust issues addressed last summer('15) so it's in great shape and not going anywhere.
While owning the Dmax my job commutes have been (roundtrip) 12 miles and 27miles, My job currently is at 41miles roundtrip, with oddball mileage at another 100/tank. With my yearly tank avg at 16mpg. The job is only seasonal so I'm looking to find a full time yr round job but any options are going to end up near 60mile roundtrip.
This has me thinking I need to give a commuter car a seriously consideration and keep the dmax for towing,crap weather days, and drive it a day or 2 a wk to keep it regular.

I want to keep this as a cash purchase so I'm in the used market  around 5-6k. Figure that leaves me in the early to mid 2000's. I'm most concerned with MPG, but i need some sport/style to it. I'd like to keep it domestic if possible, though the only car I've researched is foreign  :blink:. I've never owned a car, so not really up to snuff with what's good new and junk later. To be fair I'd put my driving at 85% highway(55mph 2lane or interstate) and 15% stop and go.

The only thing I've spent time researching are  04-06 Jetta TDI, but I see they are not without fault. Timing belt,cam,balance shaft issues, auto's are frowned upon. But mileage and diesel longevity are there.
Quick price search shows that Ford fusions/focus or chevy cruze could also be contenders. I'm going to work on figuring out some numbers today or tmw but I'd love any input from you guys. Also if anyone has any good websites where i can plug in a bunch of numbers to calculate the costs for me. Thanks.
03 Pro-XR w/a 02 pro-x600 engine, C&A trail skis,1.5" Camo Intense, PERC, V-force 3, 11"chrome shield..SOLD
Want IQ of some sort but $$!
07 2500HD EC SB 4x4 DURAMAX/Ally, some 285's, some exhaust and other meaning less stuff...

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a used daily driver...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 04:04:19 PM »
I absolutely love my Dmax, owned it since new(be 10yrs in a month), just cracked 100k, made no payments in 7yrs. I do need to replace the ABS module (once I can get it off, stupid torx screws) but other than that replacing all the glowplugs(last month) a pair of sneakers and routine maintenance/fuel, it's been flawless. I had typical rust issues addressed last summer('15) so it's in great shape and not going anywhere.
While owning the Dmax my job commutes have been (roundtrip) 12 miles and 27miles, My job currently is at 41miles roundtrip, with oddball mileage at another 100/tank. With my yearly tank avg at 16mpg. The job is only seasonal so I'm looking to find a full time yr round job but any options are going to end up near 60mile roundtrip.
This has me thinking I need to give a commuter car a seriously consideration and keep the dmax for towing,crap weather days, and drive it a day or 2 a wk to keep it regular.

I want to keep this as a cash purchase so I'm in the used market  around 5-6k. Figure that leaves me in the early to mid 2000's. I'm most concerned with MPG, but i need some sport/style to it. I'd like to keep it domestic if possible, though the only car I've researched is foreign  :blink:. I've never owned a car, so not really up to snuff with what's good new and junk later. To be fair I'd put my driving at 85% highway(55mph 2lane or interstate) and 15% stop and go.

The only thing I've spent time researching are  04-06 Jetta TDI, but I see they are not without fault. Timing belt,cam,balance shaft issues, auto's are frowned upon. But mileage and diesel longevity are there.
Quick price search shows that Ford fusions/focus or chevy cruze could also be contenders. I'm going to work on figuring out some numbers today or tmw but I'd love any input from you guys. Also if anyone has any good websites where i can plug in a bunch of numbers to calculate the costs for me. Thanks.

Only real concern with foreign cars is replacement parts. VW in particular seems to have huge repair costs associated with everything I know about their product line. Many of their parts are similar costs to BMW and Mercedes Benz. I'd think that an American car (like a Ford Focus) would give you much better bang for the buck. Cheaper to purchase and cheaper to service. If you went foreign, I'd say stuff like Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentre, Etc would all be similar, but again it seems like you're paying a premium for the import car to begin with, then the parts are harder to find and cost more.

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 08:02:33 AM »
VW has gone in the shitter in the past 15 years or so. Look at it as a trade off the money you save getting the hyped fuel mileage you will spend fixing nickle and dime stuff which is not so nickle dime like window regulators, electrical accessories, etc.
I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 08:05:05 AM »
I think my HD Road King gets 50-60 MPG, but not so great for Nov - March driving  :no2:

Offline PRO-X 600

• Is lost & confused :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 03:46:54 PM »
I wouldn't have anything against a bike, but i dont trust the overwhelming majoirty of the people on the rd.
So far  from what I've read up on them the Cruze is making a strong case to go that route. My gf has one, I've never driven it but it rides decent and it's got some style to it. Looks like an Eco version with a 6sp has a track record for 40mpg.. Would be a bit out of my cash price range but i got time to sort that out..
03 Pro-XR w/a 02 pro-x600 engine, C&A trail skis,1.5" Camo Intense, PERC, V-force 3, 11"chrome shield..SOLD
Want IQ of some sort but $$!
07 2500HD EC SB 4x4 DURAMAX/Ally, some 285's, some exhaust and other meaning less stuff...