Author Topic: first ride 2016-17 season  (Read 2616 times)

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
Re: first ride 2016-17 season
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 03:52:48 PM »
I put on the first half mile on the sled, through the yard and in the development. I refuse to be the first sled to cross the lake to get to the trail.

I like giving the lakes a couple extra weeks at the beginning of the season - especially now that both my sons are riding with me.
I don't even see the crazy ice fishermen sitting out on the lake on their pails, so the ice must still be very thin.

Here in Northern Illinois its just now started to skim over. Even though we're getting single digits it's going to take a while to get some thickness. My son is monitoring the situation so he can go play some pond hockey with his buddies. Nothing like a battery drill and a coat hanger to drill some test holes.  :fishing2:

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 04:30:20 PM »
I put on the first half mile on the sled, through the yard and in the development. I refuse to be the first sled to cross the lake to get to the trail.

I like giving the lakes a couple extra weeks at the beginning of the season - especially now that both my sons are riding with me.
I don't even see the crazy ice fishermen sitting out on the lake on their pails, so the ice must still be very thin.
It is plenty cold here to produce ice, but we got that 5" of light fluffy snow recently. There is more snow coming on Friday and Saturday, so I don't think we will see safe ice until January.

Here in Northern Illinois its just now started to skim over. Even though we're getting single digits it's going to take a while to get some thickness. My son is monitoring the situation so he can go play some pond hockey with his buddies. Nothing like a battery drill and a coat hanger to drill some test holes.  :fishing2:
Hal

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 10:27:38 PM »
My first ride might be a while if I cannot get my back issues corrected. 
"Dessert is for people who don't drink enough."
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 08:13:14 AM »
My first ride might be a while if I cannot get my back issues corrected.

Liquid pain relief  :beer2:

Offline AdrenalineJunky

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 08:31:22 PM »
4-5" here yesterday...
Those aint easy to pull.  Even my alpine felt it tug pretty hard.
Famous quotes;

Roady; "I just wonder why the big 4 can't produce somnething that remotely ready out of the box"

Myself;  "Even when working properly, the E/S on these cats sounds like a vintage scooby doo lunch box full of hotwheels getting tossed down a flight of concrete stairs."

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 10:14:58 PM »
Still don't have our trail open yet. We tried to go around the north end of Peltier Lake and one of the ATV's broke through the ice at about the same place mine did last year. We were able to get it out right away though. Hardwood creek has no ice so we put up a trail closed sign for that section.
Tomorrow morning we are trying to open up Corey Swamp. I doubt we will make it completely through, even though the temperature was down to -20 degrees a couple of days ago. That is proof that snow is a great insulator.
Hal

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2017, 09:32:09 AM »
I got to throw a couple hundred miles on the clock this week. Conditions started out somewhat horrible. Low snow in sun light areas, rocks, dirt, water, etc..... Then we got 6-8" of fresh snowfall overnight and conditions improved. A couple small snow showers kept things goings while I spent a week up at my cabin. Happy to get the time up there with my family and some friends. Feel like my batteries have been recharged for a little while.  :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 10:31:43 PM »
I did about 250 in Vilas last week. As usual Boulder area sucked.
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 12:13:46 PM »
Already tragedy.  My neighbor's son was killed on a sled up by Mercer on Friday.  He was the same age I am (45).  Tragic, I don't have the details yet, so I won't speculate, it was around 10 AM when it occurred. 
"Dessert is for people who don't drink enough."
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2017, 03:49:56 PM »
Already tragedy.  My neighbor's son was killed on a sled up by Mercer on Friday.  He was the same age I am (45).  Tragic, I don't have the details yet, so I won't speculate, it was around 10 AM when it occurred.
Was it a blue Yamaha?  My Brother and his son came across one over the weekend that was frontendless and being dragged in.  Didnt look like a good experience. 

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2017, 09:51:43 PM »
Sorry to hear that KP. A Moline man died on Monday Dec 26. On the Vandercook in Vilas Co.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 07:20:14 AM by racerdave »
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2017, 08:58:37 AM »
These early rides pose many dangers. I saw a lot of open water on lakes, rivers and streams. Stream wash outs on the trails. Downed trees, boulders, and ruts. Trails were complete ice after a short rain they had, which then turned to snow soon after. Conditions were NOT good at all. Trails were beat to death with people taking extra time off for holiday rides, etc.

I just hate hearing about those kinds of accidents. 

http://www.wsaw.com/fox/content/news/1-dead-in-Vilas-Co-snowmobile-crash-408410475.html
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 03:42:36 PM by greekboy »