Sled insurance

Author Topic: Sled insurance  (Read 2717 times)

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
Sled insurance
« on: July 12, 2016, 08:16:27 AM »
What insurance companies are you guys using for sleds / atvs / motorcycles / boats ?

I had everything with Liberty Mutual a few years ago, then my home / auto went up real bad all the sudden (like a 25%) increase one year for no reason at all. So I switched to a different company, but I keep all my toys with Liberty Mutual b/c the toy policies didn't go up. Now, all the sudden my ATV policy went up 50% this year and my sled policy went up 75% this year ! As in a 75% INCREASE in one year for no reason at all. Now I need to decide if I should just pay them or switch, or just not run any damn insurance at all on them b/c they are all older machines 2006 model years....

My biggest fear isn't theft or damage to the machine, its that one of my kids runs into someone and damages their car, or the the trail system/ medical injuries, etc.... 

Offline Rage'n Renegade

• Administrator
  • ~ Rage'n Renegade ~
    • View Profile
Re: Sled insurance
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 12:53:01 PM »
We are with State Farm.   Everything, home, cars, snowmobiles, motorcycle.  The toys are cheap (just basic coverage on the sleds).  Home has gone up quite a bit in the past few years though.   

My parents were with State Farm forever and a few years ago they switched everything over to Erie Insurance and got much better rates.   Check them out.   We are going to check into Erie ourselves.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 02:17:41 PM »
We are with State Farm.   Everything, home, cars, snowmobiles, motorcycle.  The toys are cheap (just basic coverage on the sleds).  Home has gone up quite a bit in the past few years though.   

My parents were with State Farm forever and a few years ago they switched everything over to Erie Insurance and got much better rates.   Check them out.   We are going to check into Erie ourselves.

I had Erie for like 10 years. They're actually a really good company (kinda forgot about them)... So used to all the big companies that advertise all the time.

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 08:53:56 PM »
I've been with State Farm, same agent since 1982 or so. i have checked around and could never come up with a better price same coverages. Seems like I have some premium due every month or so. Bikes,sleds,cars,trailers,home. I am insurance poor!

I've kinda used $4g  and under value as the point of liability only for toys.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 08:57:06 PM by racerdave »
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 09:14:27 AM »
I've been with State Farm, same agent since 1982 or so. i have checked around and could never come up with a better price same coverages. Seems like I have some premium due every month or so. Bikes,sleds,cars,trailers,home. I am insurance poor!

Yeah, seems like cost of ownership continues to grow these days.
I'm FREAK'd out b/c I have a 15 1/2 year old boy that will be driving soon.  :gasprices-ani:

Offline Rage'n Renegade

• Administrator
  • ~ Rage'n Renegade ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 09:55:53 AM »

I'm FREAK'd out b/c I have a 15 1/2 year old boy that will be driving soon.  :gasprices-ani:
I'm in the same boat.  My daughter started driving in Feb. and my son will be 16 in Jan. so will get his licence next summer.  :fear2:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:01:07 AM by Rage'n Renegade »

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 02:03:26 PM »

I'm in the same boat.  My daughter started driving in Feb. and my son will be 16 in Jan. so will get his licence next summer.  :fear2:

I'm pretty cool and all, but the only thing I ask of my kids is that they pay for their own gas and insurance.
So the cost of a drivers license is a part time job. However, in all fairness, I drove my 15 year old son to 12 local stores in an effort to get a part time job and he got ZERO call backs. Pretty sure people that used to work full time are working those part time jobs right now.... Next year, I'll have him work for my company. That way, at the very least, he'll know why I drink  :floor:

Offline Rage'n Renegade

• Administrator
  • ~ Rage'n Renegade ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 10:32:10 AM »

I'm pretty cool and all, but the only thing I ask of my kids is that they pay for their own gas and insurance.
So the cost of a drivers license is a part time job. However, in all fairness, I drove my 15 year old son to 12 local stores in an effort to get a part time job and he got ZERO call backs. Pretty sure people that used to work full time are working those part time jobs right now.... Next year, I'll have him work for my company. That way, at the very least, he'll know why I drink  :floor:
We're lucky in that we are in an area where there aren't many people, and 1/2 of them are vacationers in the summer, so it's easy for the kids to get a job.   My daughter is working two jobs this summer.   She's working at a local diner/ice cream shop and life guarding at a  campground that's not too far away.  She's liking the life guarding gig, getting paid to sit outside.   B)  My boy hasn't started working yet, but he has started talking about it.  So probably next summer.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 11:01:16 AM »

We're lucky in that we are in an area where there aren't many people, and 1/2 of them are vacationers in the summer, so it's easy for the kids to get a job.   My daughter is working two jobs this summer.   She's working at a local diner/ice cream shop and life guarding at a  campground that's not too far away.  She's liking the life guarding gig, getting paid to sit outside.   B)  My boy hasn't started working yet, but he has started talking about it.  So probably next summer.

Things have actually gotten much worse around me than I have EVER seen before in my lifetime. I've lived in this same area since 1976 (I'm 45). I see around 1-2 homeless people walking around my area per week. In the AM, I drive past a local church and their PADS program lets out around 15-20 homeless people two days a week. Last week, I swear I saw my first hooker at the corner. I know that sounds ridiculous, but every instinct I have told me "hooker alert".... I know the media says what it says all day, everyday.... but it certainly doesn't feel like it in the Chicagoland area.... The economy hasn't and isn't getting better just yet...

There are days where I feel like just selling my house and moving to my cabin in the middle of nowhere, in hopes that my kids didn't see the craziness I saw as a little kid living in the inner city of Chicago. I got lucky and moved out into the suburbs as a young kid. Now the craziness has moved into the suburbs too.... It's just all so sad....

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 12:17:07 PM »
I Have my sleds insured with Liberty Mutual also - used to have the house and cars with them but they went up so High I changed to Hanover.  With 2 girls under 21 the savings for auto was almost 3800 alone.  My homeowners dropped another 750 off the tab.  Left sleds with them cuzz it was really a great rate but it too has risen by at least 75% - figured it was cause I lost a multiple discount.  But now maybe not from hearing of your rates.

How's that commercial go?  "Now you gotta ask yourself - why would you stay with that insurance company"   I have to check my Hanover guy about sleds.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 10:04:20 AM »
I talked to Fireball Dave, Kingpin and Johnnyvmax doo all this week. Makes me want winter to come even faster  :blush: Too bad it's 90 degrees today.....  :banghead:

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 06:49:22 PM »
We really have to get the boys together this tear again.   Last year just kind of sucked.  Spent most of our time on the turtle flambeau flowage riding around all the islands - which the boys like - lots of drifts and small islands and off trail around the shack.  Put a new roof on the shack and fixed a major leak in June.   Might be going up quite a bit more this year and riding out of Price County from my In-laws as my father in law was out picking berries in a secret spot, slipped on mossy rocks and hit the back of his head hard enough to basically kill him last Thursday.   No one could find him cause he was quite a ways from where he parked his truck and where he told my wifes mom he was going.  turned out he was about 300 yrds from the house along Hay Creek and it looks like he died from exposure even tho I think he was in fatal shape after he hit his head.  Brother in law and sister in law were out looking and called in sheriffs dept - 80 people found him the next morning.   Just got back from the funeral.   Seems surreal - just all of a sudden there not there with no indication of health issues.  Think I'll spend some more time with my parents also. My dad's the same age. 
Heading south tomorrow to take my youngest daughter to SIU.   Disorganized week to say the least.

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 08:38:16 PM »
Sorry to hear that Andy. Condolences on your loss.
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 07:59:59 AM »
Sorry for your loss Andy.

Offline Howie

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 04:40:00 PM »
Andy, Sorry to hear this. Our thoughts are with you, your wife and families.
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid!
You have 2 ears and 1 mouth. Use them proportionally!