Author Topic: New Toy  (Read 457 times)

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
New Toy
« on: June 22, 2016, 04:45:34 PM »
Well new to me... built in the late 60s early 70s

New Holland 450 Sickle Bar attachment for the tractor to trim back brush and hedgerows that are too out of control to cut with the brushhog...

Normally used to cut hay as I'm sure you Mid-Westerners are well aware. I modified the linkage to allow it to cut from 45* to 90* vertical for the hedgerows...

Video before and after mods...

This thing will take down 1.5 inch trees if you go slow!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPiZ-PlTAd_Funu3VHFCK4GTm8iRwcNIi7I9SERSoZGS0A90UKbNw7DoZfs1Kc1bw/photo/AF1QipN1GxZslMglGsel7c9fUDDHgET75HYQTFjr2NQy?key=VTg3MGRDZWd0NlBsWG5ZQWQ5dU1HYTREQVFzOFln

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPiZ-PlTAd_Funu3VHFCK4GTm8iRwcNIi7I9SERSoZGS0A90UKbNw7DoZfs1Kc1bw/photo/AF1QipODoZhvVhlBmcsSO2Qw-cvrFAODIdgRK-3dL0z0?key=VTg3MGRDZWd0NlBsWG5ZQWQ5dU1HYTREQVFzOFln   

I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline snopork

• View Profile
Re: New Toy
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 12:24:45 PM »
We used to have a couple on the farm - I mowed with them.  You can pop those metal teeth off the bar when you get a tree caught in em tho.......I think ours were mounted in with flush rivets.   My grandpa used to hammer new ones in using a big ball peen and a 2 ft length of 100lb railroad track as the backer to spread the rivets.   They look like metal sharks teeth

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
Re: New Toy
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 09:49:27 AM »
Yep I already bent and popped off a couple of the "Sections" (the triangle blades) as well as breaking a couple of the rock guards. Once I get all the rough stuff done I'll rebuild the bar for use in maintaining the hedgerows.

I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.