Author Topic: Summer projects  (Read 9448 times)

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
Re: Summer projects
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2016, 07:10:25 AM »
I'm sure you could hire someone to media blast it (corn cobs) for a reasonable price.
This seems to have a good reputation, though I'm not sure on the comparable cost. I looked into doing that when my place was stained incorrectly but the rough price quote i got over the phone came in pretty close to what I spent on brand new cedar siding that was prestained. Plus they couldn't guarantee that they would be able to get all of the old pigment out so I would get the desired color i wanted. But I'm also more OCD than most on

Not the case ! Not at all. When I woke up the next morning, I realized that I "furred" up the logs by pressure washing it  :blush:

So, I spend the rest of the weekend hand sanding every single log with a air compressor & DA sander. Basically, just knocking the fur down on the logs. It went half way quick, but used 200 sanding discs and the compressor didn't shut off for 10 hours straight.

Ready for stain on 4th of July weekend (I bet my family can't wait to help me).

:floor:
That must've been hell on earth... When you say furred do you mean like raised the grain and the once smooth logs now had little "hairs" of wood lifting up from the logs?
Not that it matters at this point, but ive used the following with decent results... It's still labor pretty labor intensive with brushing it on and washing off..
http://www.deckstainhelp.com/wolman%E2%84%A2-deckbrite%E2%84%A2-wood-cleaner-review/
https://www.rustoleum.com/~/media/DigitalEncyclopedia/Documents/RustoleumUSA/TDS/English/CBG/Wolman/WOL-04_DeckBrite_TDS_082613.ashx

What are you putting up for a stain??

Yes sir... It raised the grain on the wood. So I sanded it back down. Had to use a power plane in two spots b/c of some light damage to the logs (from water and or sunlight).

I'm using Sikkens Proluxe Rubbo stain. Did a fair amount of research on it, most people swear by it, although I did look into other products pretty good too. I'm going to hand apply it with a brush. I do have a Wagner sprayer, but I think I want to really work it into the work properly. Hoping not to re-stain this for a long while....

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2016, 07:15:08 AM »
I'm sure you could hire someone to media blast it (corn cobs) for a reasonable price.

Wayne, I "wood" have hired someone, but those local guys don't seem to give me the time of day. Not sure what it is up there, but they really don't care if they work or not. In 8 1/2 years of ownership, I've only been able to hire one contractor to do anything for me. As a result, I've learned how to do things I've never done before! I even installed my owner furnace, duct work and air conditioning system there. My wife and I joke around about retiring up there and me just doing side jobs for people (for extra cash), but she says I might be working more retired than I did beforehand... :blush:

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2016, 11:04:42 AM »
Thats what happens when a plumber tries do do woodwork. ;)

LOL... That's what happens when a plumber tries to do anything with wood!

Here we have a saying... A framers worst nightmare is a plumber with a saws all.

I'm the exception to the rule. Generally speaking, I do a real good job installing new plumbing. As long as I can coordinate with other tradesmen and we can call out our bays, we're all good. It's when you need to retrofit something, or get creative .... that's when the wood's gotta go.  :devilsmiley:

Sawzalls are the best freak'n tools EVER invented !   :beer2:

Offline Rage'n Renegade

• Administrator
  • ~ Rage'n Renegade ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2016, 06:50:51 PM »
Took on some spur of the moment projects.   At my mom's,  we cleaned the gutters on Sat., stained the deck for her today, and got some blinds to hang for her.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2016, 11:00:35 AM »
Took on some spur of the moment projects.   At my mom's,  we cleaned the gutters on Sat., stained the deck for her today, and got some blinds to hang for her.

You're a good egg !

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2016, 03:53:13 PM »
This seems to have a good reputation, though I'm not sure on the comparable cost. I looked into doing that when my place was stained incorrectly but the rough price quote i got over the phone came in pretty close to what I spent on brand new cedar siding that was prestained. Plus they couldn't guarantee that they would be able to get all of the old pigment out so I would get the desired color i wanted. But I'm also more OCD than most on

Not the case ! Not at all. When I woke up the next morning, I realized that I "furred" up the logs by pressure washing it  :blush:

So, I spend the rest of the weekend hand sanding every single log with a air compressor & DA sander. Basically, just knocking the fur down on the logs. It went half way quick, but used 200 sanding discs and the compressor didn't shut off for 10 hours straight.

Ready for stain on 4th of July weekend (I bet my family can't wait to help me).

:floor:
That must've been hell on earth... When you say furred do you mean like raised the grain and the once smooth logs now had little "hairs" of wood lifting up from the logs?
Not that it matters at this point, but ive used the following with decent results... It's still labor pretty labor intensive with brushing it on and washing off..
http://www.deckstainhelp.com/wolman%E2%84%A2-deckbrite%E2%84%A2-wood-cleaner-review/
https://www.rustoleum.com/~/media/DigitalEncyclopedia/Documents/RustoleumUSA/TDS/English/CBG/Wolman/WOL-04_DeckBrite_TDS_082613.ashx

What are you putting up for a stain??

Yes sir... It raised the grain on the wood. So I sanded it back down. Had to use a power plane in two spots b/c of some light damage to the logs (from water and or sunlight).

I'm using Sikkens Proluxe Rubbo stain. Did a fair amount of research on it, most people swear by it, although I did look into other products pretty good too. I'm going to hand apply it with a brush. I do have a Wagner sprayer, but I think I want to really work it into the work properly. Hoping not to re-stain this for a long while....

We used the Sikkens on our cabin... Very happy with the way it held up and the look we got from it. Great choice and if you had asked I would have recommended it.
Hand brushing is the way to go on any bare or stripped wood work it in real good and don't be afraid to use cheap brushes because you will ruin them working the Sikkens in. I went through 3-4 brushes doing our camp.

My theory on spraying a porous open grained surface is that the surface tension of the paint or stain traps air in the grain of the wood preventing good penetration. Unless the surface is smooth or sealed in some way they only way to paint is brush or roller.

I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline Rage'n Renegade

• Administrator
  • ~ Rage'n Renegade ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2016, 04:21:46 PM »

You're a good egg !
Thanks greekboy!   We ended up having to put 2 coats of stain on the deck.  Also put a desk together for her and my son weed wacked the bank for her and trimmed some shrubs.   It was a "workcation".    :blink:  Back home for the 4th and some relaxation!!  B)

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2016, 12:49:31 PM »
A little darker than I was hoping for, but for the most part she's close to being 100% complete.

Plan on wrapping the gutter line with brown aluminum rather than staining it.
If I can't find the right color aluminum wrap, stain it is.....

The Sikkens stain was amazing. It covered everything up great, only one coat. Hand brushed.
Also used 12 dark brown "Big Stretch" tubes of caulk anywhere I could to get rid of any gaps, voids or cracks in the logs. Worked out great.

Next project will be adding boulders to cover up the cement block foundation walls.
My wife is really pushing for it, and I think she's right.... Should look killer, once it's done. Now just gotta find the time to do it....  :blink:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:51:27 PM by greekboy »

Offline Rage'n Renegade

• Administrator
  • ~ Rage'n Renegade ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2016, 02:56:59 PM »
A little darker than I was hoping for, but for the most part she's close to being 100% complete.

Plan on wrapping the gutter line with brown aluminum rather than staining it.
If I can't find the right color aluminum wrap, stain it is.....

The Sikkens stain was amazing. It covered everything up great, only one coat. Hand brushed.
Also used 12 dark brown "Big Stretch" tubes of caulk anywhere I could to get rid of any gaps, voids or cracks in the logs. Worked out great.

Next project will be adding boulders to cover up the cement block foundation walls.
My wife is really pushing for it, and I think she's right.... Should look killer, once it's done. Now just gotta find the time to do it....  :blink:

Looks nice!

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2016, 03:38:05 PM »
Contractor meeting went bad..... 25% over budget..... Need to re-think my design....  :blink:

Got another contractor lined up to meet in early August. Hoping that this guy comes in with a better price.
I was hoping this thing would have been built by now, but time is ticking away and winter is fast approaching (yet again).

Getting a price on a storage unit for my boat. Thinking of getting that out of my hair for the winter and maybe this garage project will finally be resolved in late fall or early spring.

Just want two prices on a 3 car garage. Attached vs detached.
I know the attached garage adds some value to the cabin, but not sure what 100 linear feet of foundation is worth these days....

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2016, 08:33:38 AM »
Contractor meeting went bad..... 25% over budget..... Need to re-think my design....  :blink:

Got another contractor lined up to meet in early August. Hoping that this guy comes in with a better price.
I was hoping this thing would have been built by now, but time is ticking away and winter is fast approaching (yet again).

Getting a price on a storage unit for my boat. Thinking of getting that out of my hair for the winter and maybe this garage project will finally be resolved in late fall or early spring.

Just want two prices on a 3 car garage. Attached vs detached.
I know the attached garage adds some value to the cabin, but not sure what 100 linear feet of foundation is worth these days....

Been 3 weeks.... Still waiting on that number....
Guy called this week with some questions and said that he was working on it, but no number yet......

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2016, 04:58:12 PM »
I have had to repair the wife's clothes drying and clothes washer. Now my sister is having me repair her rear tine tiller. Parts are so expensive and it just doesn't pay to have someone else repair them. The dryer wasn't to had, about $40. The only thing wrong with the six year old washer were the bearings, but it came as a unit and had to replace the whole transmission. The cost ended up being nearly $300. The tiller is in pieces in the garage and needs two bearings, input pinion shaft and gear, and gasket. That cost is $162 and a couple of those parts are on backorder. Current shipping date of August 19th. Must be on a slow boat from China.
Hal

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2016, 06:11:57 AM »
I have been using repairclinic.com  for parts for almost everything for years. They are very reasonable and most items ship in a day or two. Appliances, Power Equipment, Tools, Etc.
Just had to replace the drive belt on my 30+ year old Craftsman belt sander Sears arts wanted $8 for a belt and $12.00 for S&H.
I got TWO from Repair Clinic for $12.00 shipped.

I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2016, 10:50:02 AM »
I have been using repairclinic.com  for parts for almost everything for years. They are very reasonable and most items ship in a day or two. Appliances, Power Equipment, Tools, Etc.
Just had to replace the drive belt on my 30+ year old Craftsman belt sander Sears arts wanted $8 for a belt and $12.00 for S&H.
I got TWO from Repair Clinic for $12.00 shipped.
It is difficult to know which on line sources are the best, but they are all much cheaper than going to the local parts dealer.
Hal

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2016, 07:03:06 PM »
You need to shop around weighing the price Vs the shipping and delivery date sometimes you need to pay more if you need it faster!