Author Topic: Summer projects  (Read 11681 times)

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
Re: Summer projects
« Reply #210 on: August 23, 2017, 03:36:39 PM »
Metal roof ain't all it's cracked up to be... My 20 year metal roof at camp started looking faded and had rust spots after 15 years. Sure they will give you a new panel but no money for labor.
I ended up priming and repainting the whole roof on my own dime. Cost me a couple hundred but the finish was better then the original when done.

Another issue is the fact that metal roofs shed the snow / ice and water so quickly that it tends to rip gutters off the house in the winter. If you don't run gutters, then the water sheds off the roof and runs right into your foundations, leaving them damp and cracking under freezing conditions.

Fake News!  B)

Everyone up at camp said the same thing... When I put my roof on I allowed a 2" overhang of the fascia and mounted the gutters low. When the snow comes off the roof it just shoots over the gutter and never touches it. The guy that made the gutters for me (Seamless on site) suggested double hangers and they worked great.
The first year with them on I was going to put a sheet metal cover over them to keep the snow out but never got to do it before the snow came and didn't have a problem.

Although I have not had gutter problems either. I have heard of them happening.

I have had my plumbing vent boot get ripped off and my TV antenna too. The ice slid down the roof and caught the rubber flashing the right way, lifting up a corning and creating a roof leak. The antenna wire had pulled out of the socket too. The antenna was attached to the plumbing vent pipe - cuz I like to rig up stuff like that from time to time  :biggrin:

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #211 on: August 23, 2017, 03:46:19 PM »
Metal roof ain't all it's cracked up to be... My 20 year metal roof at camp started looking faded and had rust spots after 15 years. Sure they will give you a new panel but no money for labor.
I ended up priming and repainting the whole roof on my own dime. Cost me a couple hundred but the finish was better then the original when done.

Another issue is the fact that metal roofs shed the snow / ice and water so quickly that it tends to rip gutters off the house in the winter. If you don't run gutters, then the water sheds off the roof and runs right into your foundations, leaving them damp and cracking under freezing conditions.

Fake News!  B)

Everyone up at camp said the same thing... When I put my roof on I allowed a 2" overhang of the fascia and mounted the gutters low. When the snow comes off the roof it just shoots over the gutter and never touches it. The guy that made the gutters for me (Seamless on site) suggested double hangers and they worked great.
The first year with them on I was going to put a sheet metal cover over them to keep the snow out but never got to do it before the snow came and didn't have a problem.

I have had my plumbing vent boot get ripped off and my TV antenna too. The ice slid down the roof and caught the rubber flashing the right way, lifting up a corning and creating a roof leak. The antenna wire had pulled out of the socket too. The antenna was attached to the plumbing vent pipe - cuz I like to rig up stuff like that from time to time  :biggrin:

I had my stove pipe up high as close to the ridge as possible so there was not a lot of snow or momentum coming down to it. I vented my plumbing through the wall and kept it below the eave/roof overhang. The inspector thought it was a pretty good idea...
I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 24, 2017, 11:21:27 AM »

Fake News!  B)

I had my stove pipe up high as close to the ridge as possible so there was not a lot of snow or momentum coming down to it. I vented my plumbing through the wall and kept it below the eave/roof overhang. The inspector thought it was a pretty good idea...

The original design of my cabin addition, had the roof sloped towards the overhead door. The GC told me I was nuts and we talked me into reversing the roof lines so that the snow wouldn't pile up in front of the door. He was the smarter of the two, that's for sure ! LOL...  :rolleyes:

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2017, 06:41:32 PM »
Yeah my roof slope was to the front porch roof and entry in front and the deck in the back :banghead:
Should have been turned 90 degrees to the sides... #NotMyProblemAnymore!
I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 29, 2017, 07:47:55 PM »
i'm switching to Fall projects - just too lazy to post anything about em.

Offline Rage'n Renegade

• Administrator
  • ~ Rage'n Renegade ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 09, 2017, 08:51:11 AM »
Summer?  What is summer?   This summer was non-existent for me.   Can I have a do over?   Days are getting shorter, it's getting cooler, and I haven't even had summer yet!

:fear2:

Offline Hal

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 09, 2017, 04:27:43 PM »
Summer?  What is summer?   This summer was non-existent for me.   Can I have a do over?   Days are getting shorter, it's getting cooler, and I haven't even had summer yet!

:fear2:
I know what you are talking about. I have been painting, staining, replacing bad siding and trim, new lights and found out I had to upgrade my smoke detectors after paying extra to my contractor for replacing the front windows with high efficiency ones. I couldn't use the grandfather excuse on my 30 year old house. The codes require both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors on both floors and smoke detectors in all bedrooms. I replaced the existing smoke detectors with combination smoke and carbon monoxide, that are hard wired. In the bedroom, installed battery powered smoke detectors. Those detectors have lithium oxide batteries that can't be replaced, but will last ten years. That was another $160 that was unforeseen. My $2000 insurance allowance has nearly disappeared.
Hal

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #217 on: September 12, 2017, 08:20:43 PM »
I am nearing the end of my project on the house... nearly two years working between money making work.
Last week I mounted the two "Floating" vanities (lagged to the wall, no legs), two Kohler medicine cabinets and two lighting fixtures and connected the supplies and drains.
I also installed one of the Vonn Lighting LED chandeliers. They have two rings hung on six cables that are individually adjustable and also supply the power.
I also installed one of the Big Ass Fans Haiku ceiling fans with LED lighting and WiFi control. This thing is only 52" but moves some huge air!
Yesterday I got a good start on the built up Craftsman/Art Deco style Crown Molding. I picked the highest and most difficult to access first to get that done and out of the way... plus any screw ups will be well out of sight since it is 17 ft AFF.

I am tired of trying to link or upload photos so here is a link to the entire album on Google Photos. There are some photos from years ago when we re-roofed at the beggining. The latest photos are last

https://photos.app.goo.gl/b2s5NjSq0h3X9Vtr1

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 08:25:29 PM by Phantom »

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #218 on: September 17, 2017, 07:15:49 PM »
Coming down the home stretch... Fabricated and installed the grill for the high wall return today and installed another Vonn Lighting LED chandelier...