Author Topic: Summer projects  (Read 11677 times)

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
Re: Summer projects
« Reply #180 on: May 10, 2017, 01:19:10 PM »
Install gutters... Everyone up North told me gutters would get ripped off by the snow but I put them low on the fascia so the outer edge was below the roof plane. Snow slid off no problem and never touched the gutters it just shot right over them.
I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 11, 2017, 07:16:44 AM »
Install gutters... Everyone up North told me gutters would get ripped off by the snow but I put them low on the fascia so the outer edge was below the roof plane. Snow slid off no problem and never touched the gutters it just shot right over them.

I do have gutters on the back elevation of the cabin. I installed them lower than the metal deck in hopes they wouldn't get ripped off and they never did. Only problem with gutters is they'd need to come down a log wall and that might not look so good, but it might be a good option especially since they do make real dark brown gutters....

I have had snow / ice rip my plumbing vent flashing and pull my antenna cable apart  :(

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 11, 2017, 03:13:17 PM »
Make a u shaped cover out of the log siding to cover the downspouts?
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 11, 2017, 03:34:43 PM »
The GC actually extended the valley around 6" further than the roof, just to get the water a little further away (which I thought was smart), but the ground around the addition is so loose and sandy that the water splashes onto the logs and I think over time, it will become an issue. Just happening in two spots. I think for now, I'm going to throw a couple plastic or concrete splash blocks there and put some river rock around that area to lessen the splash....

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #184 on: May 11, 2017, 06:28:22 PM »

I do have gutters on the back elevation of the cabin. I installed them lower than the metal deck in hopes they wouldn't get ripped off and they never did. Only problem with gutters is they'd need to come down a log wall and that might not look so good, but it might be a good option especially since they do make real dark brown gutters....

I have had snow / ice rip my plumbing vent flashing and pull my antenna cable apart  :(

I ran my plumbing vent out the wall then went verticle but kept it under the eave to protect it.
Building inspector OKed it so I was good with it!
I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 12, 2017, 07:46:32 AM »

I ran my plumbing vent out the wall then went verticle but kept it under the eave to protect it.
Building inspector OKed it so I was good with it!

For a metal deck roof, that is smart !
My cabin was built in 1999 by someone else... They weren't that smart (at all)....

One real bad thing about a log cabin is.... The doors and windows can't be moved very easy. This guy laid out the floor plan real sh!ty...

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 23, 2017, 02:14:35 PM »
If all goes well (and it doesn't rain too much), I should have the log siding completed this weekend  :punk:

Log order #3 has arrived at the local lumber yard and I just need to get it stained and installed. Also hoping to get all the nail holes filled and caulk everything really well, as I hope not to work on siding again for 10+ more years....

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 30, 2017, 03:04:35 PM »
Log order #3 went without a hitch. Exterior of the cabin is 95% complete. All that's left is some minor nail hole filling and caulking. Ran out of the special caulking I was using, so I couldn't wrap that up 100% just yet....

Still need to plant some grass seed and do some minor hand grading this summer as well.

Offline Howie

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 02, 2017, 04:08:54 AM »
Log order #3 went without a hitch. Exterior of the cabin is 95% complete. All that's left is some minor nail hole filling and caulking. Ran out of the special caulking I was using, so I couldn't wrap that up 100% just yet....

Still need to plant some grass seed and do some minor hand grading this summer as well.
Looks good Chuck! :thumbsupsmileyanim:
You even took this pic standing up!!! :beer2:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 04:10:39 AM by Howie »
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid!
You have 2 ears and 1 mouth. Use them proportionally!

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 07, 2017, 10:31:04 AM »

Looks good Chuck! :thumbsupsmileyanim:
You even took this pic standing up!!! :beer2:

:specool:
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline thnksno

• ^^^The Colonel!
    • View Profile
    • http://home.comcast.net/~thnksno/
« Reply #190 on: June 12, 2017, 10:37:38 AM »
Where to start?

Bought a home and wooded acreage west of here and still haven't figured out what to do with the old house. Maybe a rental, maybe sell it, after 18 years and 2 kids it needs some work either way. Been riding a lot recently, I bought a new DRZ last fall and a CRF1000L just last week. I modded the dizzer over the winter, maybe pushing 40hp, it's a wheelie machine. I don't plan on doing much to the CRF except ready it and plan for an epic trip next year.

Kids are out of school and the oldest one wants to drive but has no job prospects, so the old JGC sits. The last time I drove it I hit an expansion joint and death wobble occurred. I need to fix it (likely the track bar) but am sick of working on that heap.  The old lady booked a vacation early next month, that zapped my motivation to do anything until after the trip.

I have a million things to do but being in limbo between the new and old properties I can't seem to do anything. My garage is filled with bikes and go karts I haven't washed the Tundra in 2 months, it seems my only option right now is to drink beer.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 12, 2017, 12:49:05 PM »
Where to start?

Bought a home and wooded acreage west of here and still haven't figured out what to do with the old house. Maybe a rental, maybe sell it, after 18 years and 2 kids it needs some work either way. Been riding a lot recently, I bought a new DRZ last fall and a CRF1000L just last week. I modded the dizzer over the winter, maybe pushing 40hp, it's a wheelie machine. I don't plan on doing much to the CRF except ready it and plan for an epic trip next year.

Kids are out of school and the oldest one wants to drive but has no job prospects, so the old JGC sits. The last time I drove it I hit an expansion joint and death wobble occurred. I need to fix it (likely the track bar) but am sick of working on that heap.  The old lady booked a vacation early next month, that zapped my motivation to do anything until after the trip.

I have a million things to do but being in limbo between the new and old properties I can't seem to do anything. My garage is filled with bikes and go karts I haven't washed the Tundra in 2 months, it seems my only option right now is to drink beer.

Thinkr, you've let yourself go.... This isn't the control freak / clean freak I used to know....  :floor:

I also lack motivation (at times). With all the kids sports and work stuff getting in my way, sometimes you need to just do nothing at all and keep whats left of your sanity. It all works out in the end.

Good luck to your kid. Good jobs are hard to come by right now, but they just need to get their foot in the door somewhere and work their way up the ladder.... I feel bad for kids these days b/c getting a job used to be so much easier back when I got out of college....

Offline thnksno

• ^^^The Colonel!
    • View Profile
    • http://home.comcast.net/~thnksno/
« Reply #192 on: June 13, 2017, 09:25:05 AM »
Yup, teenagers today are competing with 38 year olds for jobs, it's ridiculous. He doesn't know it, but he could buy a brand new corvette if he wanted, I refuse to make it that easy for him. Further, if he does get into college, he's going to need that money.

I'm in a rut right now because I know fit is going to hit the shan soon, so why start now. In about another 3-4 weeks I won't find time to eat. Talk about not being my normal self. The puppy pees on the carpet and I'm like, so what it's going to get ripped up soon, why bother cleaning it up. Lol!

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 24, 2017, 02:30:55 PM »
This week will conclude the 9 month saga of my cabin build.... I have (1) eight hour day left for completion and I'm pretty much done. Some minor landscaping work will be left for next summer, as I have absolutely decided to stop giving a sh!t anymore  :beer2: 

Just too much, too often.... I spent the last 6 months running up North 700 miles round trip, every two weeks to continue work. It was totally worth it, as everything has turned out great.

All that's left for my one day of work:
Install the oak flooring, install the pine trim and hang the 2nd bedroom doors (after staining all the pine). Done deal  :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Local town managed to spank me in taxes though... About a 40% increase in real estate taxes b/c the addition was 750 sq ft. That translates to about $500 extra per year, but again, it was worth it to gain the space and to be able to store some of my toys and gear better.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 08, 2017, 02:55:29 PM »
Stick a fork in it, I'm done !

Some interior finishes completed....