Author Topic: Summer projects  (Read 18511 times)

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
Re: Summer projects
« Reply #150 on: November 28, 2016, 10:19:08 AM »
Got some of the sleds inside over the weekend.  :biggrin:
Now the trick will be to not put too much stuff inside, so that I can get some of the work completed without moving stuff around 24/7

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 29, 2016, 08:38:23 AM »
GB, do you hope to retire to there some day?
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 29, 2016, 10:11:42 AM »

Back when Bush Jr was in office, my goal was ten years from now. After the past ten years, I added ten years onto my goal and lost plenty of 401K dollars to boot... 20 years is my new prison sentence.  :banghead:

I know what I'd like to do (leave Illinois entirely). However, that all depends on my kids addresses. I know I couldn't live too far from them, otherwise my wife would kill me.
Therefore, my thoughts are to sell my house in IL. Buy a condo or townhouse in IL. Jump around between my cabin, my condo and maybe either find a place down south (Kentucky Lake area), or travel a lot if possible. My wife and I enjoy road trips and seeing new places.

It's all a moving target at this point in life...

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #153 on: November 29, 2016, 06:13:48 PM »

Back when Bush Jr was in office, my goal was ten years from now. After the past ten years, I added ten years onto my goal and lost plenty of 401K dollars to boot... 20 years is my new prison sentence.  :banghead:

I know what I'd like to do (leave Illinois entirely). However, that all depends on my kids addresses. I know I couldn't live too far from them, otherwise my wife would kill me.
Therefore, my thoughts are to sell my house in IL. Buy a condo or townhouse in IL. Jump around between my cabin, my condo and maybe either find a place down south (Kentucky Lake area), or travel a lot if possible. My wife and I enjoy road trips and seeing new places.

It's all a moving target at this point in life...

When we bought the Tug Hill property in 97 we were thinking we were going to build a retirement place which we thought we built in 2001. After 20 years of being tied to the same place for our vacations we sold it and now we go to different places and rent other peoples places. Much better for us as we look to find another retirement location. Being tied to the same spot for so long was getting both tiring and boring. We are now in the process of getting our main home and property ready for eventual sale. 5 Year Plan...
I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2017, 08:45:22 AM »
"Summer" projects sort of moved into "Winter" projects.

My buddy John and I ran up north a few wees ago and the riding conditions were crap. So instead of wrecking the sleds, we decided to swing some hammers and get some work completed.

We built a 2x8 floor joist system on top of the floor slab. Punched a couple 6" holes through the foundation wall and extend the heating ducts into the crawl space. Insulated the cavity and installed some pex tubing. Got the 3/4" tongue and groove sheeting down and got 75% of the electrical work completed into the bedrooms. Still need to frame some closets up and get the middle wall built, but it's coming along !!!

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2017, 08:53:48 AM »
Progress ....

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2017, 08:56:37 AM »
Next on the list is.... Finish framing interior walls and closets..... Insulating exterior walls...... Vapor barrier on ceiling and outside walls....... cutting in some doorways into the main cabin.......

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 10, 2017, 02:15:57 PM »
You can't resist bending pipe eh... 
"Dessert is for people who don't drink enough."
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2017, 04:02:54 PM »
Geez, last summers project, will be this summers project, as I am no where close to finishing  :banghead:

Got some work time in last weekend though. Got a huge amount completed, seeing that I was up there alone.

Had to move some PEX tubes b/c I installed them way to fast and in the wrong location.
Finished the decking 100%
Insulated the outside walls with R19 bat insulation.
Insulated the ceiling with R38 bat insulation.
Installed vapor barrier everywhere to break the cold zone.
Used spray foam between the existing logs and the new framing.
Framed the center wall the divide the space into two bedrooms.
Framed two five foot x two foot closets.
Ran 1/2" conduit in the new framing for swtiches, outlets and lights.
Installed nine can lights in the garage and ran everything in conduit.
Ended up ordering the first load of log siding and accessories from the local lumber yard. It should be ready for pick up on my next run up there.

Plan on staining the siding and accessories on the ground first and installing it all with stainless steel nails.
Also ready to start dry wall on the next trip. Need to buy it along the way, so I don't haul all that weight on my truck and trailer for 6 hours.

The goal is 100% completion by July 4th

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2017, 04:03:58 PM »
Sorry, forgot the most recent pics I took.

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 31, 2017, 12:14:00 PM »
Next time stand up when you take the pics.
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #161 on: April 01, 2017, 06:45:50 PM »

I was wonder how he got those ladders to stick to the wall like that... I need me a few of those ladders!
I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 04, 2017, 07:28:05 AM »

POS iphone! Never had these problems with my Galaxy, LOL....

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 11, 2017, 08:35:56 AM »
The progression of pain continues ! This time I had a partner in crime, as Johnnydoo came along for a weekend of pain and suffering. At least he was well fed and hydrated  :laugh-til-cry:

For this weekend's work load....
The bedroom electric was 100% completed.
The garage electric was 90% completed.

The massive work load was cutting (2) openings into the logs. I think I added 10 years onto my chainsaws life in 6 hours time. The hard part was avoiding the metal spikes used to join the logs. I didn't ! I must have hit 7-8 of them with the saw and had to use the sawzall to cut through those, which really slowed down the log cutting process. Once the holes were made, we built custom jams to install the doors into and set those into place.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 11, 2017, 08:37:54 AM »
Still need to stain the doors and put a coat of poly on them.

Apparently still need to figure out why my damn phone continues to post the pictures 90 degrees off, even when the pictures are taken in the correct angle  :banghead: