Author Topic: Summer projects  (Read 9414 times)

Offline countryboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
Re: Summer projects
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 07:47:23 AM »
About a month ago I painted the kitchen and dinning rooms.   

Then the kids decided to swap rooms...   :eek:  so this past week has been spent peeling off wallpaper border, painting, cleaning carpet and moving furniture.   Still on the final phases of getting the rooms back together/organized. 

Next will be cleaning the living room carpet.

I've also been working hard on my lounging on the deck, enjoying listening to the birds and starting to get a good tan.   :floor:

Do you have a graduation in there too or is that next year?
some Beach, Some where??!!

'02 Pro X 440 BMW
'07 Dragon 700 stretched

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 07:26:20 PM »
It was my first drywall job 30+ years ago and done in less than ideal conditions. You can see where I pulled the tape off and there was no adhesion of the mud to the rock. 
No glue... when we built the house the construction industry was in the "Make it airtight" mode so I put 6mil plastic over the insulation as we were instructed to do by the dome manufacturer and glue would have just stuck the rock to the plastic.

That looks like a real sucky project.
Great job on getting it done on your own like that...  :beer2:

The sanding part is the worst...  :(

Sanding is not bad as long as you are good with the knife... I have learned that if you don't put too much on thee won't be too much to sand. I have a sander that hooks to the vacuum with a water filter between to keep the dust to a minimum.

http://www.sandkleen.com/products.htm

http://www.menards.com/main/drywall-tools/magna-sand-kleen/p-1444438806317.htm

I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline Rage'n Renegade

• Administrator
  • ~ Rage'n Renegade ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 07:57:42 AM »
About a month ago I painted the kitchen and dinning rooms.   

Then the kids decided to swap rooms...   :eek:  so this past week has been spent peeling off wallpaper border, painting, cleaning carpet and moving furniture.   Still on the final phases of getting the rooms back together/organized. 

Next will be cleaning the living room carpet.

I've also been working hard on my lounging on the deck, enjoying listening to the birds and starting to get a good tan.   :floor:

Do you have a graduation in there too or is that next year?
That will be next year. :fear2:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 10:32:37 AM by Rage'n Renegade »

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 09:54:20 AM »
Contractor meeting went bad..... 25% over budget..... Need to re-think my design....  :blink:

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2016, 08:23:24 AM »
Steel pole barn's are relatively inexpensive?  24 x 36 pole barn at menards is priced around $5400 in materials. 
"Dessert is for people who don't drink enough."
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2016, 03:48:07 PM »
Steel pole barn's are relatively inexpensive?  24 x 36 pole barn at menards is priced around $5400 in materials.

Sounds real cheap to me... Check into the quality/gauge of the metal, size of posts and framing members, etc.

When I built my camp the metal roofing was available in two gauges and two warranties on each. 20 year and 30 year for rust through. so there were actually 4 different options.

When I built my garage/mini barn at camp the materials were close to 5K...
14X 16...
 Conventional framing, Barn style gambrel roof trusses with attic space. Two overhead doors, one service door, vinyl soffit material, Plywood for exterior and metal for the roof. Trusses were rated for snow load but the pitch was steep except the top 4 ft on each side of the ridge.
I will say the materials were top notch... 2x4s were almost clear with no knots and as straight as I've ever seen.

I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2016, 07:33:07 AM »
My garage price crested $40K, time to take a step back and re-evaluate my design and choice of contractor.

I'm pretty sure what's going to happen, is what always happens. I'll end up doing the f'n thing myself for 1/2 the money, 1/2 the time and double the quality. Story of my life.  :blush:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 09:01:54 AM by greekboy »

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2016, 09:43:18 AM »
Phantom,
That was just basic materials at Menards, no labor and very little options, but, basic structure. 
Yes, re-evaluate the design and materials.  There is no way you will ever, ever, ever come close to a break-even on that price for a garage.  Even 25k is going to be a stretch to break even. 

My father built a simple pole barn that is pretty large for $10k, he did some labor himself, but not the heavy or high up stuff.  Not fully done, and no concrete floor, but using for basic storage.  He uses it to store his camper in the winter time. 
"Dessert is for people who don't drink enough."
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2016, 07:39:51 AM »
Last weekend's progression of pain.

Started out sanding the cabin. Yes sanding....  :banghead: Decided that if I sanded the cabin, I could focus on one wall and then stain it right afterwards. After spending around 3 hours on 10 square feet, I re-evaluated my strategy and decided to pressure wash the stain off the cabin.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2016, 07:42:24 AM »
So, after 5 hours of power washing and a handful of really tasty beers. I thought I was the man ! Got it done in record time and I could spend the rest of my weekend fishing and messing around with the ATV.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2016, 07:45:05 AM »
Not the case ! Not at all. When I woke up the next morning, I realized that I "furred" up the logs by pressure washing it  :blush:

So, I spend the rest of the weekend hand sanding every single log with a air compressor & DA sander. Basically, just knocking the fur down on the logs. It went half way quick, but used 200 sanding discs and the compressor didn't shut off for 10 hours straight.

Ready for stain on 4th of July weekend (I bet my family can't wait to help me).

:floor:

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2016, 07:25:05 PM »
I'm sure you could hire someone to media blast it (corn cobs) for a reasonable price.

Offline PRO-X 600

• Is lost & confused :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 09:41:31 AM »
I'm sure you could hire someone to media blast it (corn cobs) for a reasonable price.
This seems to have a good reputation, though I'm not sure on the comparable cost. I looked into doing that when my place was stained incorrectly but the rough price quote i got over the phone came in pretty close to what I spent on brand new cedar siding that was prestained. Plus they couldn't guarantee that they would be able to get all of the old pigment out so I would get the desired color i wanted. But I'm also more OCD than most on

Not the case ! Not at all. When I woke up the next morning, I realized that I "furred" up the logs by pressure washing it  :blush:

So, I spend the rest of the weekend hand sanding every single log with a air compressor & DA sander. Basically, just knocking the fur down on the logs. It went half way quick, but used 200 sanding discs and the compressor didn't shut off for 10 hours straight.

Ready for stain on 4th of July weekend (I bet my family can't wait to help me).

:floor:
That must've been hell on earth... When you say furred do you mean like raised the grain and the once smooth logs now had little "hairs" of wood lifting up from the logs?
Not that it matters at this point, but ive used the following with decent results... It's still labor pretty labor intensive with brushing it on and washing off..
http://www.deckstainhelp.com/wolman%E2%84%A2-deckbrite%E2%84%A2-wood-cleaner-review/
https://www.rustoleum.com/~/media/DigitalEncyclopedia/Documents/RustoleumUSA/TDS/English/CBG/Wolman/WOL-04_DeckBrite_TDS_082613.ashx

What are you putting up for a stain??
03 Pro-XR w/a 02 pro-x600 engine, C&A trail skis,1.5" Camo Intense, PERC, V-force 3, 11"chrome shield..SOLD
Want IQ of some sort but $$!
07 2500HD EC SB 4x4 DURAMAX/Ally, some 285's, some exhaust and other meaning less stuff...

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 05:34:06 PM »
Thats what happens when a plumber tries do do woodwork. ;)
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2016, 08:07:01 PM »
Thats what happens when a plumber tries do do woodwork. ;)

LOL... That's what happens when a plumber tries to do anything with wood!

Here we have a saying... A framers worst nightmare is a plumber with a saws all.