Author Topic: Summer projects  (Read 9419 times)

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
Summer projects
« on: May 23, 2016, 03:51:41 PM »
Since the board is dead as hell, I figured I'd throw around some summer project discussions....

#1). Still working on my son's Jeep !
Thus far, we've replaced around $1,200 worth of parts on it. Battery, alternator, starter, water pump, belts, hoses, radiator, thermostat, valve cover gasket, idler wheels, belt tensioner, engine oil & filter, transmission oil and filter, blower motor, blower motor resistor, fan switch gauge pod, wiper motor, wiper blades, fuel pump, pump tank skid plate, front axle u-joints, shocks, front stabilizer shock, KC lights, fog lamps, coil packs, plugs, PCV valve, exhaust hangers and clamps, timing chain and windshield. 

Still need to do the front and rear drive shaft u-joints.
Minor frame rail rust repair.
Minor front fender rust repair.
Front and rear differential oil change.
Transfer case oil change.
Soft top replacement (he's on the hook for that $)
Front and rear brakes (don't need them for 1-2 more years).

Kid's applying for a summer job now. Rule is, he pays for gas and insurance once he turns 16 (if he wants to drive).

#2). Finally getting closer to building a garage up at the cabin. I have a decent guy lined up, trying to let myself actually let him do it rather than doing what I always do (do it myself). Truth is, I'm never happy with someone else's work. I'd hate to pay for a half ass job.... So, I need to drink 4-5 beers, where I don't give a shit anymore and actually just let someone else do it for me. I've come to the realization that I have almost NO time at all anymore. I barely have time to enjoy the cabin, let alone actually work on it.

#3). Need to stain the cabin, or hire someone for that too.

Last year, I think I had 10 or 12 items on my list, and only got 4-5 items completed. This year, I've decided to put 3 things on the list, in hopes of getting at least one thing done  :floor:

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
Re: Summer projects
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 10:01:32 PM »
102 sheets of drywall arriving tomorrow AM @ KP's...

I'm having it stacked in the rooms!  Menards offers delivery in house any floor.  HD does not do that, so I went with Menards.  Cashed in all of my 11% rebates! 

Not cheap for basement delivery!  $2 per sheet. 

Ding Ding on #2 GB.  No time to get stuff done.  Need to start enjoying it vs working on it all the time.
"Dessert is for people who don't drink enough."
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 07:17:54 AM »
102 sheets of drywall arriving tomorrow AM @ KP's...

I'm having it stacked in the rooms!  Menards offers delivery in house any floor.  HD does not do that, so I went with Menards.  Cashed in all of my 11% rebates! 

Not cheap for basement delivery!  $2 per sheet. 

Ding Ding on #2 GB.  No time to get stuff done.  Need to start enjoying it vs working on it all the time.

My problem is youth sports right now. Got around 40-50 baseball games over the summer, then two basketball teams and hockey never stops, oldest goes year round. I'm 7 months away from having another driver, so that ought to help out a lot, as I never plan on attending another hockey practice again, but I will make efforts to be at most games.

Work is also picking up! A lot harder to take extra time off these days with the construction marking just now slowly starting to creep back up. I'd say out company is doing around 50% it's normal numbers (1990's sales were double our current sales). The Obama experience has cost my company 25 employees over the past 8 years. I'm about to hire 1-2 people back in the next couple of weeks (if I can find the right fit for us).

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 07:14:47 AM »
F'it I got a contractor meeting me up there on Saturday to discuss a price  :banana:

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 09:11:25 AM »
re-roofing the shack in a couple weeks.

Finish painting house

Replace a couple of windows

Find used motor for Zero Turn Mower - or buy new shortblock - Bought new JD D140 lawn tractor from HD for use now.  Would just get rid of zero turn mower but those things are like gold.  Decide which one to sell when re-engined.  Wife says make boys do engine swap and oversee it............hmmm, she mite be right

currently remulching landscaping

Can you believe Mercer got over an inch of snow a week and a half ago?

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 11:11:53 AM »
lots of work here...
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "

Offline Rage'n Renegade

• Administrator
  • ~ Rage'n Renegade ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 02:10:41 PM »
About a month ago I painted the kitchen and dinning rooms.   

Then the kids decided to swap rooms...   :eek:  so this past week has been spent peeling off wallpaper border, painting, cleaning carpet and moving furniture.   Still on the final phases of getting the rooms back together/organized. 

Next will be cleaning the living room carpet.

I've also been working hard on my lounging on the deck, enjoying listening to the birds and starting to get a good tan.   :floor:

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 02:37:19 PM »
I'm nervous about spending any kind of money right now, my oldest will be in college in 3 short years.... my youngest 3 years after....  :'(

But, if they can't find a job after they graduate, they can live in my brand new shiny pole barn !  :floor:

My wife just got a summer school gig that will last 1/2 of summer, so her "to do" list just got cut in half too. She planned on painting several rooms in our main house and working on landscaping and plantings. Maybe she can get the kids to do some of that work... ?

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 08:26:16 PM »
Got a head start on Summer projects a few months ago...

When I worked for a company and spent a lot of time on the road we had the house painted and the painter suggested doing a popcorn ceiling as the most cost effective way of hiding the cracking drywall tape. It looked good when it was done and for a few years later but... There is no way to clean/maintain a popcorn ceiling and when it  got dirty/dusty started looking BAD.
I finally bit the bullet and decided to remove the popcorn and repair the joint tape. This will take the Summer with all of the work I have lined up I'm sure.
So far the popcorn is gone and the joints re-taped and first coat... as you can see doing a 19 ft ceiling in a geodesic dome is no picnic!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:27:50 PM by Phantom »

I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 08:29:16 PM »
So far I have put over 1500 screws in to stabilize the sheetrock and hopefully prevent future problems. When I built the house the best that was available as far as a cordless screw gun was a Skill 12v which drove about 20 screws before needing a charge so we went sparse on installing screws.

I understand the dilemma. Correct spelling takes time that could be spent licking the windows on the short bus.

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 10:00:39 PM »
phantom, is it glued too? Is it giving you drywall pop or tape failure? 

No leaks or anything correct? 

32 screws for each 4x8 sheet for reference.  (1 per sq ft. )

That's a good amount of work to do on a scaffold too. 

Hoping to get a start on my little project this weekend too.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:13:30 PM by Kingpin »

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 05:51:03 AM »
It was my first drywall job 30+ years ago and done in less than ideal conditions. You can see where I pulled the tape off and there was no adhesion of the mud to the rock. 
No glue... when we built the house the construction industry was in the "Make it airtight" mode so I put 6mil plastic over the insulation as we were instructed to do by the dome manufacturer and glue would have just stuck the rock to the plastic.

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 08:00:20 PM »
gotcha.  Yeah, drywall is a sucky job to do unless you gots the tools and stuff.  I'm lazy enough, the guy helping me out has a drywall lift.  Those are really nice for ceilings and also if your working by yourself.  The extra screws should hold up good for you.  That sucks to mud/tape that area, with the geo based home, is every panel an angle cut?

Offline Phantom

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
    • IRIS Contracting
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 05:23:15 AM »
Every triangle is two panels with the tapered edges meeting on the flat down the center but the 60 triangles all meet at angles. 60 triangles each with three edges meeting at angles...

I look at it this way... the first go round I didn't know what I know now and it lasted 30 years this should last me the rest of my life or until we sell the house. We are on the 5 year plan to get out.

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 07:40:48 AM »
It was my first drywall job 30+ years ago and done in less than ideal conditions. You can see where I pulled the tape off and there was no adhesion of the mud to the rock. 
No glue... when we built the house the construction industry was in the "Make it airtight" mode so I put 6mil plastic over the insulation as we were instructed to do by the dome manufacturer and glue would have just stuck the rock to the plastic.

That looks like a real sucky project.
Great job on getting it done on your own like that...  :beer2:

The sanding part is the worst...  :(