Author Topic: Finally....  (Read 5374 times)

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
Finally....
« on: February 15, 2016, 09:19:53 AM »
Well, our first ride of the season is FINALLY on the books! Kingpin, Fireballdave, Johnnydoo and I got some riding in this weekend! Rolling into the greekshack late on Thursday night to find around 14" of new snow on the driveway and got the F150 stuck trying to get the dame trailer turned around. Had to plow out the driveway with the ATV, while Johnnydoo got the woodstove cherry red.  :devilsmiley:

Friday AM started off cold, -9F while we ate some breakfast. Got back to the cabin, where Kingpin's ignition switch froze solid in the off position. Ran into town to buy some key melt stuff (that didn't work). Ended up breaking the key off trying to get it to move. Had to remove the top of his hood, bring it into the heated cabin for a few minutes and he was able to turn the broken key into the run spot and start the machine  :banghead: By then, he was all wet and cold - ready to start riding in 0 degrees temps...  :thumbsupsmileyanim: After getting geared up for the cold riding conditions, we headed off! Decided to travel East to Watersmeet, MI (where kingpin would buy a replacement key at Headers Polaris). Soon after getting on the road, I realized that my Ski doo doo wasn't exactly running all that great. Ran 2 miles to town to get fueled up. Decided to swap out my spark plugs - as I just wasn't getting full power from the machine (40 MPH top speed). One plug looked good, the other one looked really wet, but didn't look like it was getting fire.... Decided to keep going, thinking that maybe it would clear up.....  :no2: Ran around 20 miles, just past the town of Iron River, MI. Winds started really getting out of control by now, something like 30 MPH side winds.  :snow: Kingpin spotted a warming hole (The Wooden Nickle). Decided to stop and warm up a touch.... Boys had some burgers and I decided that my machine just wasn't going to fix itself... So Johnnydoo and I ran back to the greekshack, while Fireballdave and Kingpin continued on to Watersmeet in search for Polaris parts.... Got back to the greekshack, took my carbs off and went through everything. All looked good to me....  :smoke: So, being cold, a touch lazy and even more pissed off - I decided just to bring the damn thing into a dealer b/c I didn't feel like messing with it.... There it sits, waiting for me next trip....

Saturday, I grabbed my youngest son's sled and we continued off to ride. Saturday started out a touch warmer (I think)...   Started out a touch later than what we wanted, had to run back into town to purchase another MI DNR sticker.... Headed straight North this time on trail 15 and made it to Amasa, MI. Stopped at the Rusty Saw Blade for some well needed warmup. Looped back South on trail 111 and took trail 16 to Iron River again in search for our next warming station, unable to find the place we were looking for, ended up a tried and true tested place called Kermits for lunch. From there we headed West on trail 2 to trail 116 and stopped in to George Young Recreation for yet some more warming....  :hypocrite: Took a short cut trail back to trail 16, only to jump onto a little off trail area that we've been messing with over the years. Fresh virgin snow awaits, as we carved through that for a short while. I launched my son's little sled so freaking high that the ski tips we 8-10 feet off the ground and my shorts needed changing as I didn't expect the air I got on such a smaller / lighter machine...  :eek: Crossed a few water hazards and made it to the greekshack unharmed. Too cold for pics (sorry).... Had a few cocktails and ran to dinner for some pizza.

Sunday AM, woke up to -33F air temps  :blink: My F150 sounded like a cat dying a slow death when I started it. Lucky for us, we had the trailers packed up and ready to roll back home. It started snowing South of Greenbay and we missed most of the highway snow, making it home in a decent amount of time.

Good weekend of riding. Maybe not our best mileage weekend, but we had fun and were able to hang out, have a few beers and bs with old friends that haven't seen each other in a while. Totally worth going and doing....  :beer2: 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 02:52:50 PM by greekboy »

Offline snopork

• View Profile
Re: Finally....
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 10:28:51 AM »
Wow,  your way detailed.

BTW  over Christmas I left the RMK keys sitting on the counter at home - Kingpin could have avoided all that work just by unpluging the ignition switch from underneath.  Of course if its got ES that wont work and you'll have to go manual.   Need a long screwdriver to pop off the connector and a long needle nose if it wont pop off the whole way - or a kids smaller hand.  Polaris still uses old school ignition unlike Doo where your screwed if you dont have your tether and have to take your sled to a dealer and get a reprogramed one. 

I had my 2 lads, my youngest daughter(senior) and my niece(daughter didnt want to be the only girl). My nephew and his wife stayed at the shack but were riding with his inlaws who were staying at the Great Northern.   We did about 140 miles on trail and about 4 hours of off-trail (well the boys and I - the girls wernt interested in getting stuck with the GTX - and I didnt really want to dig that tank out anyway).  -22 Saturday night so we took the "trail truck" into town for Prime Rib at the GN with my nephew and his family.

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 05:15:14 PM »
hmm.  we thought about bypassing it like the old days, looked under there and saw 4 wires going into the main harness and though better of it.  It only takes a couple minutes to pull the hood (2 bolts) and a couple clips, so, meh.  Got the key, it was fine, but still ended up freezing again, must have gotten froze up, either way it never did that before and I've definitely ridden in cold weather and it never froze.  Of course, I work for a lock company and had a great big bottle of lock de-icer at home...  :ranting:  No biggie just went old school on the ASSault for the weekend no worries.  I also like the fact that you can run them without battery.  Also like the fact that pull start is standard..  Can't believe I heard doo makes people pay for pull start.  Hopefully the greeker gets good news on his doober, he had his eye on the orange and black renegade.  I'm personally looking to see what poo has in store, kinda like the pro-x switchback, but really still love the ASSault.  Assault is supposed to be in the Axsys chassis this year, so we will see.
"Dessert is for people who don't drink enough."
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 07:36:25 PM »
I like the black and orange gade to but in the backcountry with the 146 track

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 08:39:25 AM »
I like the black and orange gade to but in the backcountry with the 146 track

If we buy matching sleds, we'll need to coordinate our gear too  :wub:

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 09:15:39 AM »
hmm.  we thought about bypassing it like the old days, looked under there and saw 4 wires going into the main harness and though better of it.  It only takes a couple minutes to pull the hood (2 bolts) and a couple clips, so, meh.  Got the key, it was fine, but still ended up freezing again, must have gotten froze up, either way it never did that before and I've definitely ridden in cold weather and it never froze.  Of course, I work for a lock company and had a great big bottle of lock de-icer at home...  :ranting:  No biggie just went old school on the ASSault for the weekend no worries.  I also like the fact that you can run them without battery.  Also like the fact that pull start is standard..  Can't believe I heard doo makes people pay for pull start.  Hopefully the greeker gets good news on his doober, he had his eye on the orange and black renegade.  I'm personally looking to see what poo has in store, kinda like the pro-x switchback, but really still love the ASSault.  Assault is supposed to be in the Axsys chassis this year, so we will see.
[/b]

Front end only, not the tunnel/skid.
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 11:57:59 AM »
My Doo vs Poo decision is a difficult one, as I do like both product lines. For me, I have a ski doo dealer in the same town I live in, here in Illinois (so that always helps for picking up odds and ends). Up North at the greekshack, both Doo & Poo dealers are 1/2 hour away for parts. Up North, I have a much better Doo dealer than I do a Poo dealer, so I am always leaning towards a Doo product.

Last weekend marks my 1st time I have EVER dropped off a sled at a dealer, and just said "fix it". Kinda feels good knowing that I've taken care of so many other repairs throughout the years and engine rebuilds (with Kingpin's help last time around). I'm sure it will feel less good when the dealer calls me and gives me a dollar amount for something real stupid that I could have fixed myself if I had the time to do so....

Offline Kingpin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 10:39:30 AM »
I'm learning to let go and let other people work on it.  Yes, it costs more, but I get someone else's neck to strangle rather than my own.   :Bar-Smilies: :floor:
The only mods the ASSault have been carbides and a tunnel wrap, and tunnel bag.  :)  The Poo so far has been flawless other than the key freezing up.  Still on original belt.  Of course not many miles this year, but hey. 

Judging by how relatively little deep snow off trail riding we do now, I might consider a pro-x switchback with the back country track.  hmmm..
"Dessert is for people who don't drink enough."
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 02:58:20 PM »
Got lucky on the fix. Something really simple and stupid as a clogged pilot jet. It was just so damn cold outside and although I took down the bowls and checked the mains. I didn't check the pilots. Simple fix, cheap fix, I'm good to go again.

Now I'm hoping that the warm up experienced last weekend 42*F high, didn't whale on the conditions up there....  :thumbdown:

Offline racerdave

• Annual Subscriber
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 04:24:17 PM »
Got lucky on the fix. Something really simple and stupid as a clogged pilot jet. It was just so damn cold outside and although I took down the bowls and checked the mains. I didn't check the pilots. Simple fix, cheap fix, I'm good to go again.

Now I'm hoping that the warm up experienced last weekend 42*F high, didn't whale on the conditions up there....  :thumbdown:

Sometimes even a blind squirrel gets a nut.  :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hoping for the same in Vilas at the end of the week.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 04:25:55 PM by racerdave »
Summer SUCKS!!

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 08:47:04 AM »

Sometimes even a blind squirrel gets a nut.  :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hoping for the same in Vilas at the end of the week.  :shrug:

That big snow storm is going to miss Northern WI & the UP of Michigan. Looks like East of Lake Michigan will get hit pretty good though....

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 02:13:45 PM »
I was going up this week - decided against.  Need to catch up on things around the house.   looks like weekend of March 11 will be my last run....Florida on the 25th for a week after that
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 02:16:09 PM by snopork »

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 02:46:39 PM »
I was going up this week - decided against.  Need to catch up on things around the house.   looks like weekend of March 11 will be my last run....Florida on the 25th for a week after that

I'm screwed. Going up this weekend with (1) kid and maybe some friends. Might have schedule conflicts the first (2) weekends in March which will totally screw my season over. Maybe we'll hitch up for a spring storm and ride in the woods for a day or two ?

Offline snopork

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 05:34:42 PM »

I'm screwed. Going up this weekend with (1) kid and maybe some friends. Might have schedule conflicts the first (2) weekends in March which will totally screw my season over. Maybe we'll hitch up for a spring storm and ride in the woods for a day or two ?
Let me know how the 11th look - maybe we can make an reservation in calumet area and show the boys some big snow  or we can do woods ridin

Offline greekboy

• Donating Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 08:41:36 AM »

Let me know how the 11th look - maybe we can make an reservation in calumet area and show the boys some big snow  or we can do woods ridin

The 11th weekend is my conflict weekend. I can go the weekend after - March 18th weekend, but that's pushing it on riding season, unless the woods stays open for some off trail stuff....  This season really sucked for me, bad conditions and zero free time. Only 160 miles on the sled thus far for 2016....  :thumbdown: