Author Topic: 2006 polaris 550 engine trouble  (Read 62364 times)

Offline Dave Bradley

• View Profile
2006 polaris 550 engine trouble
« on: January 10, 2008, 11:20:31 PM »
i am new to this site but with frustration with my 06 trail touring i wanted all the help i can get. my sled died on jan 4 on the trail doing about 40 mph. no warning just stopped like i hit the kill switch. i pulled both plugs and found a whole in the top of the piston.i called the dealer and found out my warranty expired on dec 28 now i am waiting for a week to hear back from polaris i am not ahappy camper.has any one had a similar problems with this machine and any advice for me. very unhappy after only one year..  dave

Offline tundrafreak

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 11:47:57 PM »
i am new to this site but with frustration with my 06 trail touring i wanted all the help i can get. my sled died on jan 4 on the trail doing about 40 mph. no warning just stopped like i hit the kill switch. i pulled both plugs and found a whole in the top of the piston.i called the dealer and found out my warranty expired on dec 28 now i am waiting for a week to hear back from polaris i am not ahappy camper.has any one had a similar problems with this machine and any advice for me. very unhappy after only one year..  dave
[snapback]213955[/snapback]

There are a lot of reports of what you just described, I have read them on other boards.  My 03 550 has over 3k and not failed me but I blip the throttle a lot no constant holding or run in warm temps.  I hope you get some results from your complaint with polaris.  Seeing all these break doesn't look good.....

Offline newfie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 10:10:57 PM »
i am new to this site but with frustration with my 06 trail touring i wanted all the help i can get. my sled died on jan 4 on the trail doing about 40 mph. no warning just stopped like i hit the kill switch. i pulled both plugs and found a whole in the top of the piston.i called the dealer and found out my warranty expired on dec 28 now i am waiting for a week to hear back from polaris i am not ahappy camper.has any one had a similar problems with this machine and any advice for me. very unhappy after only one year..  dave

I have a 2004 550 Edge Trail touring with 1700 miles on it and no engine problems yet. I know another guy who had one just like mine and lost the engine 3 times in 2 winters. The last time he traded it in and wouldn't chance it again. Polaris should look after you beacuse they are known for engine problems. Good luck with it.

Offline WJW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 03:21:53 PM »
Polaris should cover the parts, I don't know about labor.

They know about this problem.  

They have a kit with new chrome cylinders, pistons, carb jets and all the gaskets.

Polaris won't tell you that your engine is going to fail; they are hoping that it will last another year or two and then most people will not ask for warranty.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 03:22:33 PM by WJW »
Willy

Offline dawson1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 11:42:56 AM »
Our 2006 Polaris Touring snowmobile just blew the engine on Sat. the 19th.  I was reading Dave Bradley's posting on Jan. 8 and the same thing happened as what he described.  It suddenly killed going about 45 and the upper and lower components and the carburetor are TOAST.  We had just bought it from a private party and it was the first time we had taken it out.  We're hoping we'll have some luck calling Polaris.  We'll see...

Offline dawson1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 01:41:13 PM »
We called our local Polaris dealer about our 2006 Polaris Trail Touring 550.  The engine had blown this last weekend and the estimate to fix it was $2,040.  I told the dealer to call Polaris directly about getting a nickel cell kit.   Polaris is sending one out for free and all we have to cover is $550 in labor costs.  We would have had to pay $2,900 for the same thing if Polaris hadn't covered it.  Anyone else who has had the same trouble with their engine killing, be sure to contact your local Polaris dealer and have them call Polaris directly.

Offline amphijeba

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 08:12:17 PM »
:( My 2005 550 supersport blew up this weekend as well.  Frustrated is an understatemnet.  Cruising along at about 35 mph, which is typical for my riding style and trails up here.  I have only put about 200 miles on it and it had about 1000 when I bought it used.  I had hoped it would be a reliable sled for me for a few years.  It is going to the dealer tomorrow but I'm afraid it will be an expensive repair that might be a bandaid for future blow ups.
amphijeba Ontario.

Offline jgarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 11:10:28 AM »
:angry:

Offline jgarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 11:20:24 AM »
:angry: Hello everyone....I am new to this site and totally frustrated with polaris....I live in Manitoba and bought a 2004 trail touring 550 fan for my wife....it just rolled over 1000 miles a couple of weeks ago...same thing, trail riding at about 35....just died..like the kill switch was hit....pulled the spark plugs and the throttle side piston had disentragated......3500.00 to repair....obviously off warranty but like new.....and according to three seperate dealers up here.....polaris knows there is a problem...but wont do anything.....attended to polaris   head office in Winnipeg.....still no luck.....does anyone know who I can contact if you have had positive results?????Please let me know asap.....winter is almost over!!!!

Offline amphijeba

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 10:31:18 AM »
I posted last weekend and have now got news from dealer on my 2005 ...some news at least, but not good.  Exactly as described it was like i hit the kill switch...no warning nothing..perefect riding to disintegrated piston.  
The dealer has diagnosed the cause as oil pump failure in my case....starved of oil.  If this is the case it was very sudden because it was using oil on previous rides because we always tip up when we fill gas.
The psiton is completely disintegrated and the estimate for repair is about $3500 as well...I have left him trying to contact Polaris but at this point nothing in the way of news.  it's not looking good.
The first thing they checked was the specs mentioned in the Polaris tech tip...we were hoping that the sled was not set up as decsribed but it was....
The dealer I am speaking with did not sell me the sled so I don't have a beef with him necessarily and It is not his responsibilty....but Polaris...

Offline amphijeba

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 10:18:04 AM »
I have continued to work with my deraler and have more news.  In my case the problem caused massive damage--the piston was toast the piston arms were even discolored from the heat.  Polaris agreed to cover all the parts...and I was left with 12 hours labour.  As the second owner of the sled I considered this reasonable.  No one needsa a 900 dollar repair bill for a used sled with 900 miles on it but at least the dealer got something for me.  One of the parts would not be available until end of March and I was not completely comfortable with the future reliabilty of the sled.  so yesterday I traded it in on a non current new 2007 550 Edge to the dame dealer I has worked with.  I was happy with what was offered for my Supersport.  Although the situation is was not ideal I Polaris and my dealer did treat me reasonably fairly.  If this happens to you try work with your dealer to get what you can from Polaris and go from there.  My dealer di say throughout the problem years he has sold about 40 of these motors and mine is the only one he has got back with problems.

Offline Frostbit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 05:26:25 PM »
I posted last weekend and have now got news from dealer on my 2005 ...some news at least, but not good.  Exactly as described it was like i hit the kill switch...no warning nothing..perefect riding to disintegrated piston. 
The dealer has diagnosed the cause as oil pump failure in my case....starved of oil.  If this is the case it was very sudden because it was using oil on previous rides because we always tip up when we fill gas.
The psiton is completely disintegrated and the estimate for repair is about $3500 as well...I have left him trying to contact Polaris but at this point nothing in the way of news.  it's not looking good.
The first thing they checked was the specs mentioned in the Polaris tech tip...we were hoping that the sled was not set up as decsribed but it was....
The dealer I am speaking with did not sell me the sled so I don't have a beef with him necessarily and It is not his responsibilty....but Polaris...
[snapback]222571[/snapback]

I seriously doubt you had an oil starvation issue. If it was oil, you would be looking at a new crankshaft and both pistons and cylinders. Your dealer needs to look at it again. If he's unfamiliar with the epidemic 550 Midrange Burndown Syndrome, just have him call Polaris and/or search the internet.

The Polaris 550 (all years) has a serious lean condition right at or near the 35 mph range that causes an immediate piston burn. I know, same thing happened to my 2004 at 3000 miles. Just about every friend I have here that has one has suffered the same thing.

Polaris has been doing band-aid fixes on every subsequent year 550 trying to get the engine more reliable; they have changed piston design and cylinder porting several times, different CDI boxes with different timing curves, pipes, cans, jetting, etc.

The last variation, as someone stated, 2007 on up, uses nicasil lined cylinders as well as a different CDI and jetting. From what I have  heard, the reliability of the 07's and 08's is much better, but it may be too soon to tell. One of the problems with the older units (2000-2006) is they are all iron bore cylinders, which do not dissipate heat nearly as effectively as nicasil. Hence, the change, albeit many years too late. There are tons of 550's out there still failing.

Just look at it this way: If this 550 burndown thing was not of the proportions it is, as its  been reported by owners and dealers, why on earth would Polaris even build a "kit" made up of all the upgraded components???  

Think about it.... :shrug:

If your engine goes down and you want to keep the sled, do not even consider rebuilding it with the same parts. Do whatever you have to to get the Polaris kit with the upgraded cylinders. Especially try to get them to let you have them free.

Personally, I think Polaris ought to offer it to everyone. Years ago when Arctic Cat had a slug of bad 500 and 600 engines, even out of warranty, they did a recall and upgraded everyones engines with new cylinders and pistons, no cost, labor included.

Its a crappy deal. I have 3 of the pre-07 550 equipped sleds, one (mine) has failed, the second my teenage son drives so its never in that mid-range long and he has had no trouble with his. The other is my wifes, and she does not drive it much.

Before it blows, you CAN raise the jet needle  by dropping the clip a notch, which will give you a richer midrange. Only drawback is increased fuel consumption. However, if you plan to keep the sled and don't want to worry about it failing, it might be the best thing you can do given the circumstances.

Polaris owes us all an explanation, and a cure, for this engine in the various sleds it put them in. (supersports, Classics, Tourings, etc)
Frostbit

Nome, Alaska

Offline eclair89

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 11:20:26 PM »
Hello, sorry to hear of the problems.   I am currently selling my '05 Supersport in Pa for $3500.  It only has 196 miles on it and is practically brand new.  Thought maybe someone might be interested rather then spend the money to fix their broken one.  Thanks!  Can email me at eclair89@aol.com if interested.

Offline Dkfire12

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 03:10:25 PM »
my 550 classic did the same thing everyone else is complaining about, ruined a great weekend of riding. But on a better note I took it took Don's Polaris in Old Forge, NY an d explained to them what happen and they check ed to see if it was still under warrant, of course it was not. I had them contact Polaris direct on a Friday afternoon and the rep. from Polaris got all the prts covered under warranty. Needess to say weekend was still ruined for my wife but I ran my other 550 classic the rest of the weekend brought it home and sold it right away. I will be keeping the one that they are repairing because they told me that that will fix the problem, Let's hope. Good luck to all rest of you that are going through the same problem, just have you dealer contact Polaris and talk to them while you are right there.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 03:11:15 PM by Dkfire12 »

Offline cfd79

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 08:19:04 PM »
my 550 classic did the same thing everyone else is complaining about, ruined a great weekend of riding. But on a better note I took it took Don's Polaris in Old Forge, NY an d explained to them what happen and they check ed to see if it was still under warrant, of course it was not. I had them contact Polaris direct on a Friday afternoon and the rep. from Polaris got all the prts covered under warranty. Needess to say weekend was still ruined for my wife but I ran my other 550 classic the rest of the weekend brought it home and sold it right away. I will be keeping the one that they are repairing because they told me that that will fix the problem, Let's hope. Good luck to all rest of you that are going through the same problem, just have you dealer contact Polaris and talk to them while you are right there.
[snapback]228088[/snapback]
Wouldn't it be better to be proactive about fixing these before they blow up?This cant be good for brand loyalty.How about a recall polaris??????????